Author Topic: MCC and its Road Based events  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
MCC and its Road Based events
« on: February 13, 2019, 11:50:50 pm »

MCC and its modern road events            What Next ?

When there has been reason to commemorate a particular anniversary, the Club has staged special road-based events. Notably the three Centenary events. These have been well supported and each has been followed by members requests for, more of the same.
To this end we ran a Welsh road event - as a one off (followed by the same requests).
Six or seven years ago saw the last Social Summer run event. This was not a competitive event but a 75 mile planned route for members to enjoy (or not). Poor attendance saw it dropped.
Five years ago, saw the first MCC Scatter navigation Rally based in the Somerset area. This has a very loyal list of MCC competitors though has not attracted the numbers seen in the Centenary events.
Two years ago, a road based regularity event was inaugurated and this has been run alongside our main events (Class R). These have again been very much enjoyed but entries have been low.
At a recent committee meeting “the management” decided it was time to discuss what, where and when the MCC was going to do, in respect of hard metalled road events. The committee is very busy with more pressing matters and this discussion has yet to be had.
The floor is now yours –
First off -What are we going to do for the 2021 celebration of our 120th birthday?                             Planning and booking has to start 18 months up front.

Secondly – Starting with a clean sheet – what if anything, should MCC member, followers and FUTURE MEMBERS  be doing by way of road events ?

Thirdly – If anything – how is this to be achieved ?

Jonathan L.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: MCC and its Road Based events
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 12:18:49 pm »
Well...… The Brookland gathering was good....

And the Wales Road event...…

Consider a Road event that not only takes in some good scenery but allows Any Vehicle to compete including 4x4's and also have Pillions on a Motorcycle on Modern Performance Road Tyres to be able to compete also....  :)

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 09:39:09 am »
I did both end to ends the first on a brand new DR350 with my wife on the "pillion" we still talk about it! she says her bottom never recovered ! (perhaps I should put a story in triple) the second time was with a trials outfit another epic to remember yes  please do it again!
there is also the possibility of overseas........

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 08:33:34 am »
Loop of the UK ? Starting and ending at the same place !

Starting say Bridgewater, up through Wales, Anglesey, hollyhead, ferry to Dublin. Up through Ireland and norn iron. Catch the ferry from Belfast to Stranraer. Up through Scotland, heading back down through the lakes. Down through the Pennines, peak District, over to Shropshire and back to Bridgewater.

Don't have to start and end at Bridgewater, just the first place I thought of. It's a pretty epic ride/drive though and would take maybe a week. Depends how drunk you get in Dublin. ;D

This is a suggestion for the 120th anniversary by the way.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 08:36:24 am »
If you didn't want to do it all there could be options to do legs of it?

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 12:06:13 pm »
If you didn't want to do it all there could be options to do legs of it?

My house to Rykers Café...….  :)

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 08:58:18 am »
Its the ferries that would restrict entries on a grand tour the end to end was quite cheap for hotel bills.
 down from  MY start (home counties) to Cornwall (1 night) start trial  a night and a day to Perth (1 night stop)and another stop for the night at J o Groats plus I rode back to MY start in one day  I guess on a slow set of wheels or from Cornwall or if I was well south of London it might be an extra night
Having said that with early planning we have time to save...

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 09:38:54 am »
The main difficulty for me and other "up north" club members is that most events are held in the south/south west.

I, for one, find it difficult to justify a 300 mile drive south to take part in a 75 mile road run...  :(
Cheers, PW.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 07:25:41 pm »
Cancel My house to Rykers Café. Very long Queue for refreshments there today.

Possibly make it My house to Newlands Corner instead...…  :)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 08:05:53 pm »
.   The main difficulty for me and other "up north" club members is that most events are held in the south/south west.

I, for one, find it difficult to justify a 300 mile drive south to take part in a 75 mile road run...  :( 

I concur.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 10:25:10 pm »
If it's 120 years then it has to be something big. Not something that you've done before. Not something easy but something real challenging.

And definitely not a trip from your own house to Greggs. ;)

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 07:24:00 am »
.   The main difficulty for me and other "up north" club members is that most events are held in the south/south west.

I concur.
Maybe I am missing something here but if an event covers the length of the UK one way it doesn't matter where you start from. Either the run to the start or the run to the end is either longer or shorter  I but perhaps I dont understand where the 75 miles bit comes ?

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 08:56:27 am »
The 75 miles was an example only of what the obsolete Social run involved, see Jonathan's opening post.

The question that Jonathan poses is what do the members want in respect of hard metalled road events, specifically the 2021 celebration of the MCC 120th birthday.  I assume we're looking at class R.

I suspect all members are over-familiar with the roads in the south west and Derbyshire as a result of the three main trials.  The roads in Wales, the north of England and Scotland less so.  The previous centenary events that travelled through Wales and Scotland went through some beautiful scenery and exciting roads.  For the benefit of our northern members, perhaps we should favour the north as the area to travel though and finish in, avoiding built-up areas such as Manchester, Leeds, etc.

To reduce non-competitive journey time to a single starting point in the north, have three starting points that converge on a common point similar to what we have in the Lands End and the Exeter trials.

We're being asked about events on hard metalled roads, however, could the 2021 event involve forestry tracks that are hard-packed and suitable for a class R car/bike.  We have recently begun to have relations with the TRF and it's most likely that they could advise us of suitable tracks. 

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 10:45:49 am »
How about a "Triple RR" Derbyshire to Plymouth run.

Keep away from the established routes we usually use in the West, using only better C class roads (no A or B roads except where absolutely necessary) where possible, keeping to a (generous) time schedule. "Gold" Medals or certificates for finishers with downgrading for lateness etc.

Easy to access the start - say around Buxton - and easy to return from Plymouth (or somewhere in the south west) - finish at a hotel or similar.
En route half a dozen/dozen marshals placed at strategic points with rubber stamp to mark yer card - including the start and finish. Simple. Relies on route finding (no route card; just coordinates, as in a scatter rally), even given the next set of coordinates at each marshal/"section". Only full cards and on time (within 30 mins) get a "gold", within 1 hr silver, 2hrs bronze.

Run overnight? If you prefer the scenery, run during the daylight. It could be an afternoon start, and an evening finish, with a celebratory dinner....nothing too onerous, but worthy of a celebration of the original club intentions, and of the three trials today. It could be a weekend run, the actual run overnight friday into saturday, or saturday daytime giving entrants time to get to the start, enjoy the run, enjoy the evening, and have sunday to return.

It could have classes - age related? older classes having easier timings? I think classic/special vehicles ought to be encouraged.

In essence a compilation of the Somerset scatter, the Centenary runs, the three trials, the Welsh weekend all rolled into one. Maybe via Prescott or Wiscombe as well....or the toll road at Porlock.

I'm happy to find a route..... ;D

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 12:43:28 pm »
How about a "Triple RR" Derbyshire to Plymouth run.

Keep away from the established routes we usually use in the West, using only better C class roads (no A or B roads except where absolutely necessary) where possible, keeping to a (generous) time schedule. "Gold" Medals or certificates for finishers with downgrading for lateness etc.

Easy to access the start - say around Buxton - and easy to return from Plymouth (or somewhere in the south west) - finish at a hotel or similar.
En route half a dozen/dozen marshals placed at strategic points with rubber stamp to mark yer card - including the start and finish. Simple. Relies on route finding (no route card; just coordinates, as in a scatter rally), even given the next set of coordinates at each marshal/"section". Only full cards and on time (within 30 mins) get a "gold", within 1 hr silver, 2hrs bronze.

Run overnight? If you prefer the scenery, run during the daylight. It could be an afternoon start, and an evening finish, with a celebratory dinner....nothing too onerous, but worthy of a celebration of the original club intentions, and of the three trials today. It could be a weekend run, the actual run overnight friday into saturday, or saturday daytime giving entrants time to get to the start, enjoy the run, enjoy the evening, and have sunday to return.

It could have classes - age related? older classes having easier timings? I think classic/special vehicles ought to be encouraged.

In essence a compilation of the Somerset scatter, the Centenary runs, the three trials, the Welsh weekend all rolled into one. Maybe via Prescott or Wiscombe as well....or the toll road at Porlock.

I'm happy to find a route..... ;D

I like it.