Author Topic: Tools and Spares  (Read 958 times)

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
Tools and Spares
« on: February 06, 2019, 08:31:15 pm »
We appear to have run out of server space for photos but here's a list of tools and spares we carry for the Serow:

Tools:

2 Tyre Levers (the Motion Pro ones Paul has).
Trail stand.
Portable engine stand (titanium).
12mm wrench (for rim locks).
22mm axle wrench.
Spark plug wrench.
Crankcase separating tool.
Frame jig for straightening in case of major tumble.
Double ended screwdriver (rear lens and side panel behind which the fuse lives).
Collapsible golf club and golf ball (handy to break up the night run and ride home).
Folding snooker table (as above)
Fishing tackle (as above)
Combination pliers (for chain master link installation).
Small compressor (plugs into accessory socket).
Pocket tyre pressure gauge.

Spares:

Spark plug (never needed to change one on a 4 stroke so considering not carrying).
Master link for drive chain (includes 4 spare O rings).
Tail bulb.
Headlight bulb.
Crankshaft (pre-balanced).
Spare fork legs (pre-filled with oil, damping and pre-load pre-set to save time).
5 fuses.
Front inner tube.
Puncture repair kit.
Duct tape (considering not carrying this).
5 cable ties (considering not carrying these).
Metal putty (considering not carrying this).
Clutch cable (considering not carrying this but I had one snap once).

XL is similar.

Considering LED bulbs and a tubeless tyre conversion so the list can be reduced further, the minimum being:

Tools:

Double ended screwdriver (side panel behind which the fuse lives).
Combination pliers (for chain master link installation).
Small compressor (plugs into accessory socket).
Pocket tyre pressure gauge.
Tyre plugging tool.

Spares:

Master link for drive chain (includes 4 spare O rings).
5 fuses.
Tyre plugs.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:19:30 pm by Ian T »

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: Tools and Spares
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 09:39:17 pm »
And Only carry spares and tools that you know will fit and that you can use.

This might seem obvious but many a tool kit just gets carried with no thought of this.

No good carrying spare gearbox internals for instance.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 09:40:57 pm »
Oh and a couple of torches including a headtorch.

Preferably AA Battery size. Fenix make some really good ones.    :)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 07:38:00 pm »
Top advice Mr Bailly.  I'm guilty of carrying too much crap that I don't need. After reading this my kit is going on a diet.

Eg, I've been carrying spark plugs, spare fuel hose, cable ties, jubilee clips, even exhaust bandage. And a massive roll of duck tape. Even take a chain splitter for some unknown reason.  ::)

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 08:03:26 pm »
Top advice Mr Bailly.  I'm guilty of carrying too much crap that I don't need. After reading this my kit is going on a diet.

Eg, I've been carrying spark plugs, spare fuel hose, cable ties, jubilee clips, even exhaust bandage. And a massive roll of duck tape. Even take a chain splitter for some unknown reason.  ::)
You may be guided by experience. If I was using a two stroke then I would carry a spare spark plug. I've carried a chain splitter, along with two master links and an inner link, because in the past I've had an inner link of a chain snap - not fixable if you only have a pair of pliers and a master link.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 08:51:41 pm »
Yes definitely carry sparkplugs with a 2 stroke. And a spare condenser. I usually take a mountain bike drinks bottle full of 2 stroke oil too. And I use the mountain bike bottle bracket to attach it to my rack.

But this is when I've been using my Honda SL230. Even been taking a small can of wd40. I need to tailor the kit to the bike like Paul suggests in the other thread.

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 08:47:11 am »
Of course the type (and age) of a machine is fundamental in determining what to carry.

In my case there was the Bantam (50 years old) with it's overbored engine would rattle yer teeth loose on the road bits along with everything else and break alloy fixings so I became obsessed at being able to fix stuff on the road and/or replace things in a more suitable material/method after each trial. I'd carry a screwdriver in my jacket pocket to tighten up the clutch/brake levers. Punctures were the least of my worries. With the CRF230 (10 years old) there was  none of those issues so I needed much less - just the puncture, chain and lights kit. In between tools selection has been appropriate to the bike. Here's an idea of what I take:-

tools to tighten loosening fixings - 4 or 5 open/ratchet spanners, appropriate to the fixings, a medium sized adjustable, a few 1/4" drive sockets and (using an adaptor) nibs (flat blade, Philips type, allen key type) with a mini T handle (like Paul has) with an extension. Twist wire as a temporary locking fix (the wire is the soft iron outer strands discarded from  armoured HV cable  - at a push it will keep a chain together).

Chain issues - pliers to deal with chain links, spare links,  and sockets/spanner large enough to deal with the rear axle to tighten the chain if necessary (SP), chain oil of some sort (there used to be little spray tins available - as freebies - at the NEC shows etc).

a length of ordinary insulated wire (which will work as HT cable if necessary), spare tail and headlamp bulbs, a couple of blade fuses.

Plug spanner and plug..

Flat tyre fixers - Holts tyreweld, levers, spare tube, CO2 bulbs and screw on valve, pressure gauge

A small range of cable ties, a clean rag and a pair of latex gloves.

With the 2 strokes (Bantam and MZ in my case) a supply of 2T oil, but most garages sell it anyway, however the Bantam needed a marked bottle to get the tank mix right as well (or you could kill it).

I can get everything in a 2 litre bag with the Holts tin separate. With the SP370 (nearly 40 years old!) the chain tension requires a monster socket and 1/2" drive bar, and that, with the holts tin, lives in a plastic tool tube.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 02:55:50 pm »
What is also of note is how these tools and spares are carried....

Most Bikes now used do not have a tool box of any dimensions...

Not a good idea to put them in a waist pack or rucksack.

I prefer to put them in a tank bag... I used to use a rear pack, but bikes seem to have got taller and getting back on the bike half way up a hill is more difficult with a rear pack....

I also have a Plastic Honda Tool box bolted to the frame in similar fashion to a tool tube...  :)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 03:01:07 pm »
Motion Pro have some excellent tool kits.

Of note are their Trail spanner kits and Chain tools....  :)

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 03:59:08 pm »
A spare brake and a clutch lever is a good idea. Over the years I've seen a number of competitors have to retire after they dropped the bike and snapped one or the other.
Cheers, PW.

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 08:06:44 pm »
We don't carry levers but have Barkbuster metal and plastic hand guards.

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 09:40:52 pm »
We don't carry levers but have Barkbuster metal and plastic hand guards.
Yes the ones incorporating a heavy alloy bar are good but I have Acerbis plastic ones and while fixing both to the bar end and inside of the lever area I have still bent a brake lever after landing a bit heavily on a front wheel washout. It didn't break it though and they are well worth having.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 08:43:10 am »
One good thing about the Jawa/CZ engines is that they have a declutching mechanism attached to the shifter lever. So if your cable or lever breaks you can still carry on. Clutch control is now with your foot and is more of an on off affair but it's designed to be an emergency backup. It does work though, I had a cable break once and I used this to get me the 40 odd miles back home. It did make pulling away on roundabouts a lot more interesting. 😁

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 01:16:15 pm »
I can see the advantage of the hand guards and wouldn't mind something like for my own bike (mainly to keep the rain/wind/snow off my hands) but not all makes and models of bike are catered for with the more expensive type that include a protective metal bar.

Thankfully the "Minda" OE spare levers for my RE Bullet cost just 9.99 the pair, delivered.  8)
Cheers, PW.

Offline John Kenny

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 10:03:08 am »
All I carry is a pair of latex gloves and a condom...