Author Topic: Question from a rookie...  (Read 863 times)

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
Re: Question from a rookie...
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 08:13:28 pm »
Yes, very important: show us a photo of your bike  :)

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 07:54:21 pm »
Hi guys,
Hope you are getting more confident about riding the Lands End Trial now that you have had a chance to look at a route book and receive some advice from the likes of Ian, Paul and Rick who are all experienced competitors
There is something very important I would like to bring to your attention and that is to be aware of the signs in the road book advising you to be as quiet as possible.
The people that live in the areas along the route will have been advised that the trial is taking place and lots of them support the event and recognise that it has been run for many years and has become a local tradition.
Unfortunately there are also a lot who hate motorsport and would love the opportunity to have the event routed away from their houses or even banned completely.
Consequently, in the route book you will occasionally see the letters Q or even QQ which mean Quiet or Very Quiet. There will also be Q or QQ markers out by the side of the road as an additional warning.
Please make sure that when you see these you ride as quietly as possible on minimum throttle until well past the houses or farms, that way we can hopefully continue to use those routes in future events.
Have a good one.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mossberg

• Club Members
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 10:27:57 pm »
Yes,
we are fully aware of that we shall drive "quite as possible." And in general, be polite when you meet other people, cars, tractors horses etc. We have similar discussions here in Sweden
Our prparations has proceed, I notice that ACU hasaken 12 £from my card, that means that the license in ongoing.
And I have orderd tires, Michelin T63 rear and Continental TKC80 on the front.

PS: I try to upload a Picture. Its small, something like 80 kB. But the system replies that "the box is full" or something like this. Any hint?

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 11:30:37 pm »
Hi. The Forum Site has limited space for pictures and at the moment this seems to be used up.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to sort it out.  :)

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 09:04:17 am »
I don't think that it is easily sorted unless the club pays for further storage.

In the Testing Testing area I have posted instructions on how people can add photos by linking from photo hosting sites such as photobucket and flickr.

This is an easy and efficient process.  e.g., Load the relevant pictures to Flickr, click on share choose the medium size DBCode copy the link and paste it here.

I hope this helps.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 02:47:45 pm »
Ooooo….

I tried Photobucket and they seemed to have removed the forum post option for some reason.... Figured that's what most people were using it for.

Possibly Ill get a Flicker account....  :)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
  • ring ting ting ting....
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 07:47:31 pm »
Ages ago I sent Paul K a document describing how to post pics using Imgur.

Use Imgur, it's the best.

Paul, post that thing I sent you. I spent quite a bit of time on that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 07:53:31 pm by Jason Potts »

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 08:24:28 am »
Jason, I've loaded your instructions into the thread 'Loading an Image into Your Post' at http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=73.0

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 03:39:41 pm »
Jason, I've loaded your instructions into the thread 'Loading an Image into Your Post' at http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=73.0

Excellent.  :)

Offline Mossberg

• Club Members
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 11:51:02 pm »
Sunday evening. Was getting warmer, +2C the entire day, I had to go for a short ride. Sitting the on the bike, avoiding ice spots at low speed, two questions came to my mind. I have red the regulation but:
-For a restart within a section you shall stop with the front axle within the “R” marks. Fine, understood but I see on YouTube that sometimes there are bikes that don’t stop. A misstake? Or stopping is of course difficult. Perhaps it’s not compulsary for all classes?
-it was very dark today when I trained to start in difficult slopes. Can I have small halogen spotlights on my helmet? Is that allowed? I have 2x35 W installed on my helmet. Convenient and fun to drive in the dark, not on the roads but in the forrests.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 11:27:10 am »
Hi. You have to stop with either the front or rear wheel spindle inside the Box.

(If there is only one line then astride the line). But usually in MCC Trials there is a box.

Some competitors may be in a different class and might not have to do that particular restart.

Other competitors might find it too difficult and carry on.

Some competitors might not even realise there is a restart.

You just do your best to follow the route instructions for your class....  :)

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 01:11:27 pm »
I take the view, that if the restart looks to hard, and I'll have little chance of actually restarting, I just keep on going.

Some people are competitive, some want to enjoy the event to their own personal ability.   ;)

Offline Mossberg

• Club Members
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 06:33:56 pm »
Ok, thank you. Yes, sometimes it might be better and carry on, without the restart. If it looks to difficult.
What about lights then? When driving in the forrests here in Sweden, then we have 1 or 2 small halogen lamps, 35w. Mounted on the helmet. Gives a nice light the next 10-15 meter.
We don’t want to stress the regulation, we shall follow the praxis in the event. Any comment from you with the knowledge and experience?
PS: I have received my ACU license!

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 09:01:32 pm »
Ulf,

To be clear you can stop with the front wheel axle, rear wheel axle, or both axles in the restart box. Some sections have two restart boxes, one box with red and one box with yellow markers. It will be clear from the route book which restart you should stop in.

After stopping you wait for the marshal to signal with a flag than go. Do not roll backwards after the marshals signal. I use the rear brake.

You have 3 yards (about 3 metres) to foot from the end of the restart box. 

For the lights, I see no problem with using them in the sections, but avoid dazzling the observers. I would not use them on the road, to avoid dazzling other road users. Also avoid illuminating inside people's houses on the route.

I find the standard 55W headlight on my bike sufficient at all times and my eyesight is not good.

Although there are lots of rules, they're really very simple when you get into the trial. Just follow the route book.

Kind regards,

Ian.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 10:53:17 pm »
I have a small battery lamp attached with industrial Velcro to my motorcycle helmet... So I can see what is around and also my road book if required.

I also use a couple of Bicycle front and rear battery lights mounted on the bike.

As the Beta's Lights stop working when the engine stops.

It helps others see you if waiting in a queue

and also helps you find your bike….  :)