Author Topic: Class R regs  (Read 932 times)

Offline Keith Johnston

• Club Members
  • Keith Johnston
Class R regs
« on: January 08, 2019, 11:04:00 am »
Stimulated by reading the route information for class R on the Edinburgh and thinking of entering a std VW Polo in class R on the Lands End as the next stage in my convalescence after a bizarre accident last summer.

Cant find any mention in the 2019 SSR's.

Could anybody please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Offline Toby Galbraith

• Club Members
Re: Class R regs
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 12:29:05 pm »
I'm not sure there's anything in the SSRs, I had a look there too before the Exeter. Essentially it will be the same as for Class O, since there's no distinction by vehicle like in the main trial.

For the Exeter there were notes in the route book saying you don't actually need a mounted towing hook/rope, so I didn't fit mine – makes it look a bit less dramatic but probably improves aerodynamics! None of the sections on Class R have a tractor/winch standing by anyway. Also the fire extinguisher becomes recommended rather than required.

Offline Keith Johnston

• Club Members
  • Keith Johnston
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 05:37:18 pm »
Thanks Toby

Looks like the requirements are fairly light to encourage participation. If anybody else can add anything I would be grateful - otherwise I will await publication of the LE regs.

Keith

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 08:28:15 am »
Class R is currently a work in progress so there is nothing in the Standing Supplementary Regulations (SSR) yet.  The three main trials are run by three different Clerks of Course in three different areas so at the moment it's a case of what works best for all three and is a means of encouraging more people to join the Club.

In order to give the Clerks of Course flexibility in their events, the Club has agreed that class R will run on ‘generally tarmac’.  Therefore, one main trial might be all tarmac while another could have some dirt tracks.

Other proposals were that Class R would have a free tyre choice and would not need a towing attachment. Class R would still need a spill kit, fire extinguisher and the tape on the steering wheel to mark straight ahead.

The subject of including class R in the SSR will no doubt be raised at the Executive Committee meeting in February.  If you have an opinion on the matter, please advise the General Secretary, who will raise those opinions at that meeting.

Offline Keith Johnston

• Club Members
  • Keith Johnston
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 09:38:18 am »
Thank you Paul.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 03:09:32 pm »
May be I can enter my Land Rover in Class R...    ;D

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 03:12:16 pm »
Actually If only tarmac roads are used then possibly I could enter my Harley 883 on road tyres?

(This is a genuine enquiry).

I remember on the Anniversary run that was all meant to be on tarmac however at the start in Popham there was a special test on grass.... the only non road bit of the whole trial.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 07:09:52 pm »
Actually If only tarmac roads are used then possibly I could enter my Harley 883 on road tyres?
You can run your road tyres on dirt tracks.  Look at those  competitors who run road tyres in the main trials.  Respect!

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 11:00:21 pm »
You can run your road tyres on dirt tracks.  Look at those  competitors who run road tyres in the main trials.  Respect!

Different sort of "Road Tyres"...  :)

Offline Keith Johnston

• Club Members
  • Keith Johnston
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 12:20:58 pm »
Paul - Two supplementary questions which will no doubt be useful to others contemplating Class R as newcomers.....

1. What licence requirements are there? -clearly my ACU motorcycle trials licence is not sufficient - do I need an MSA licence?

2. Event insurance is included in the entry cost for M/C competitors. Is supplementary car insurance available as an add on?

Thanks

Keith

Offline Barbara Selkirk

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 02:36:31 pm »
What is the MCC Challenge for Class R on the event?
•   Do everything correctly, to time and win a Gold award irrespective of how anyone else performs
•   This is not a speed event, it is a regularity event
ie keep to time given at any point defined as a timed control
•   Timed to no minutes early and up to 30 minutes late for an award (providing all tests erc. Are completed correctly)
•   Consists of a number of observed tarmac sections which include restarts and timed tests
•   Option of entering the night and day runs or the day only run
•   Doing the test correctly is more important than doing it quickly
•   No preparation needed to vehicle except normal road worthy motorcycle or car
•   No damage to vehicle
•   No extra Spot Lights or Trip Meter required
•   Need lights and  a current MOT if legally required
•   Need spill kit and fire extinguisher

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 05:14:45 pm »
Paul - Two supplementary questions which will no doubt be useful to others contemplating Class R as newcomers.....

1. What licence requirements are there? -clearly my ACU motorcycle trials licence is not sufficient - do I need an MSA licence?

2. Event insurance is included in the entry cost for M/C competitors. Is supplementary car insurance available as an add on?

Thanks

Keith

MSA Licence not required if you are an MCC Member as it is a Club Event.

Only need an MSA Licence if you are entering a Car Trial run by a club that is not yours and you are not entering the "Club" Event. I.e. The Championship event. (Most are run on two levels a Club and Championship level).

Insurance is added to or included in the entry fee. (Depending on how you look at it). But it is compulsory that you use the clubs insurance.  :)

Offline Keith Johnston

• Club Members
  • Keith Johnston
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 05:54:51 pm »
Thanks Barbara, Paul and Stephen. A comprehensive response that certainly helps me.

Wifey's car has been requisitioned!

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 07:33:15 am »
Wifey's car has been requisitioned!
With 'wifey' as navigator, or does she think you're just popping down to the shops ;).

Offline Keith Johnston

• Club Members
  • Keith Johnston
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 12:58:38 pm »
Paul - No I have a seasoned campaigner making a comeback as navigator and wifey is not that easily fooled!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:01:48 pm by Keith Johnston »