Author Topic: Scatter 2016  (Read 6899 times)

Offline Adrian Payne

• Club Members
Scatter 2016
« on: June 13, 2016, 09:00:56 pm »
Wow, that was quite an experience. My last MCC event was 35 years ago! Doing the full event is a lot harder than it looks. I would like to thank the organising team for putting on this event.
Adrian.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: Scatter 2016
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 12:27:57 pm »
Couldn't agree more.  I'll just repeat what I sent off to NOTW.

A big thank you for the organisers of the Scatter Rally. What a demanding and satisfying event.  Twisty, narrow lanes with gravel and grass living in the centre makes for some concentrated riding, especially in the four hours or so of darkness on Exmoor.  Add to that the concentration for solo navigating, then you are pleased for the rest at the breakfast halt. The day stage was equally demanding, though, considerably easier with the daylight. Memories are many. I have not come across so much wildlife in one event. I slowly followed a deer as it desperately sought to leave the road; surprised a badger, a cat stalking a rabbit, and so many rabbits.  Fortunately at safe distance, I had an Exmoor pony and a couple of deer cross the road in front of me; and finally, slowed to let numerous sheep move off the road, or cross it in hordes. Never saw a fox though; what happened to them? Mishaps also occurred. I managed to drop the brand new bike at a junction when I lost my footing. And also managed to drop the bike in the long ford in Knowle Lane when I stupidly made the decision to give it a go. Up to my ankles in water, I could not lift the bike unaided; a combination of the bike only wanting to move sideways and cardio-vascular dysfunction. Fortunately a couple of lads appeared and helped me get the bike upright. I still have not worked out the optimum method for deducing the routes for maximum points, but there is still next year. Do I miss the sections that the three major events provide. No; this is a different and in many ways a more demanding event. And there is no queuing for sections! If you still have not tried the event, give it a go. A big thank you again.

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 11:07:08 pm »
It`s great to have positive comments made about an event which one has put on. The event is set to be as easy or as tough as a competitor wishes to make it. Designed to align with the ethos of the other MCC events yet being reasonably easy to stage. The take up by the membership this year was less than expected. The name of the event in itself might put members off entering, since a Scatter navigation rally would only appeal to a very few. We plan to run it for a third time upon 17th June 2017, with better promotion. If you guys could spread the word it will help. Do you think we should make it tougher ? !

Jonathan L.

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 11:15:55 pm »
The 2nd Somerset Scatter 11th June 2016. The results have been computed. All competitors have been emailed or mailed with full details of the performances tonight Sunday 19th June.
Jonathan L.

Offline Richard Copley

• Club Members
    • Phoenix Classic Motorcycle Club
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:50:22 pm »
And the results are in...
Last year - no plan, got a Gold.
This year - had a plan, got a Silver...
Hmmm...
Is it better to "wing it" or do we just need a better plan?
To be fair - we visited more control points and covered more distance this year than last. So all credit to those (few) who obtained a Gold. They must have had a really meticulous plan, and managed to stick to it !
All of which makes us more determined to come back next year and have another go (probably with a better plan).
Many, many thanks to Jon, Ann and all the organising team - a thoroughly enjoyable event...
A plan is just a basis for change...

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 08:30:08 pm »
Hi Richard – it is a privilege to offer a stalwart MCC marshal the opportunity to see things from the other side. Sorry we did not have the chance for a chat on the day but there was quite a lot going on. The criteria for being awarded medals this year was tightened up. This necessitated competitors score being that much closer to the maximum score. Both you and the Panda might have performed as well as you did the first year but the colour of the Award was different. Who wants a Gold when almost everyone else has one ?
P.S. The Boys that did the best I think were the best but I wouldn't like them to know.
Jonathan L.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 07:44:56 am »
Is it better to "wing it" or do we just need a better plan?

Well, I thought I had a better plan this year and seemed to do worse. I looked at various routes and came nowhere near achieving my final plan.  So what is the key? Any help gratefully received.

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 09:30:19 am »
Do not take the failure of any plan too seriously.   The overall Winner, Bill Moffatt, and one of the few Golds, Dick Andrews both had ex-works team rally navigators sitting next too them.   Us mere amateurs we were doomed from the start...

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 09:08:24 am »
both had ex-works team rally navigators sitting next too them.   Us mere amateurs we were doomed from the start...
So I'm handicapped  :-\

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 09:24:17 pm »
Not from where I`m seeing it Paul !
Jonathan L.