Author Topic: Motorcycle Classes Standardisation.  (Read 215 times)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
Motorcycle Classes Standardisation.
« on: January 03, 2019, 02:41:38 pm »
Motorcycle Classes.

Any reason why MCC Motorcycle Class B is different to the ACTC split Class B1 & B2?

If the MCC are running three bonus rounds then could it not use the same Motorcycle classes for the purposes of standardisation for championship points?

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
Re: Motorcycle Classes Standardisation.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 04:59:20 pm »
Since points for MCC events are allocated on the basis of winning Gold; Silver or Bronze, what difference would it make if Class B was split into two halves?

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 05:58:30 pm »
Well the one up rule for a start.....  :)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 06:00:12 pm »
Oh and restarts possibly..... :)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
  • ring ting ting ting....
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 06:51:49 pm »
Interesting.

Are we saying that higher or lower than 225cc would be the more capable machines.?

Ie which class, B1 or B2, are you suggesting should do more or trickier restarts?

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 06:44:26 pm »
Quite Possibly the lower capacity machines might fair better in some sections but not on the road mileage?

I figure there are pros and cons.

The ACTC split is because generally the lower capacity machines have an advantage in those trials.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 06:46:07 pm »
They might just have the same restarts.... Then we may see which Class (if any) has an advantage.....  :)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 08:24:49 pm »
Don't know anything about the ACTC events so had to look up what class B1 and B2 are.

Interestingly the early Serows and the later Serows will be in different classes as the later ones are 250cc.

Also my Honda SL230 will be a class B2 bike and its smaller than a serow.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:27:24 pm by Jason Potts »

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 11:35:54 pm »
Yep I figure there always will be some apparent discrepancies in any of the Classes.

However the B1 & B2 classes seem to be rather equally split in entries on most of the trials....  :)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 06:45:15 pm »
Think if I was going to suggest any changes to the motorcycle classes it would be to introduce a minow class for sub 150cc bikes. Currently these bike have to struggle in class B (the toughest Class regards restarts etc) and they have minimal horsepower and hardly any grip on their skinny tyres. Very difficult to get going on steep hills. You only have to look at Simms  YouTube clips, can't help feeling that if they had a nonstop run at theses hills like class A and C they would stand a chance.

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 08:23:16 am »
Think if I was going to suggest any changes to the motorcycle classes it would be to introduce a minow class for sub 150cc bikes. Currently these bike have to struggle in class B (the toughest Class regards restarts etc) and they have minimal horsepower and hardly any grip on their skinny tyres. Very difficult to get going on steep hills. You only have to look at Simms  YouTube clips, can't help feeling that if they had a nonstop run at theses hills like class A and C they would stand a chance.

I agree with you Jason, that would make a lot of sense.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 09:38:29 pm »
Don't even need to create a new class. Just open class A up to include bikes under 150cc. Most of those Honda 90's are running 140cc pitbike engines and even though that's a huge 4 to 5 horsepower increase you still have to make it scream and ride the clutch plus paddling to get it moving of a steep restart.

Let's give em a chance, we might see more of them. They are fun to watch and everyone wants to see them have half a chance to succeed.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 03:16:16 pm »
Still wonder why the MCC is the only club to have a different Class structure than the rest of the ACTC clubs.....

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 07:50:40 pm »
To be fair the MCC came first and in my opinion they do set the standard. Does the ACTC have a class for sub-150cc bikes?

Regards splitting class B, Ive had a look at the various bikes that would fall into the different classes and I honestly don't know what benifit would be gained by splitting the class. But relatively speaking I'm still a newbie. Im still winging this sport and very much learning from you guys on this forum. Steve if you can shed some more light on your thoughts please share.

Regards Jason
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:06:49 pm by Jason Potts »

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 07:31:56 pm »
I was Motorcycle coordinator for the ACTC for about seven years. And almost every Club had its own class structure. So I managed over a year or two to get it standardised.

No the MCC does not have a sub 150cc Class however those bikes are few and far between.

We do have to remember that it is after all a competition not a green lane fun day out and competitors should pick suitable machinery. (There is no Sub 150 class in the Moto GP.).   :)

Only the MCC does not have this split. It does however follow the standard format in classes for cars....