Author Topic: Clee Hill Trial  (Read 174 times)

Offline Tony Ferrari (Nomad)

• Club Members
Clee Hill Trial
« on: December 30, 2018, 12:46:38 pm »
Having just joined the MCC, I was looking to do the Land's End as my first event possibly on my KTM 1090 Adventure R in Class C.

However I spotted the Clee Hill Trial was on on 20th January so thought it would be an ideal first try out at Classic Trials. i've decided the big KTM is most probably not the weapon of choice so will be borrowing my wife's KTM 250F Freeride instead and have entered class B accordingly.

I note there's only 12 bikes on the entry list out of 69 entries at the moment (maximum of 80 entries), anyone else giving it a go?

If so i'll see you in Ludlow on the 20th.

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
Re: Clee Hill Trial
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 10:44:29 am »
I'm debating entering - if it's still open.

If I had the choice between the Freeride and 1090, I'd take the smaller bike as well  :D

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 02:26:20 pm »
Still open and keen to welcome you, entries don't close until the weekend after the Exeter to allow for those folks who want to be sure of surviving that before committing themselves.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 05:26:31 pm »
Smaller and lighter is the way to go..... :)

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 05:51:14 pm »
My XL185, 38 years old and clearly a trail bike, is only eligible for class X as the wheelbase is 1310mm (that's out of the box) :-[

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 06:36:58 pm »
My XL185, 38 years old and clearly a trail bike, is only eligible for class X as the wheelbase is 1310mm (that's out of the box) :-[

Possibly Chris can address that in the ACTC?

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 07:09:36 pm »
We were going to have a go at most if not all of the ACTC championship rounds this year, but I wouldn't want to run hors concours.

I knew the wheelbase on the Honda was less than 1350mm but on checking the brochure it's 1310mm, so eligible for class X only. My 1964 Greeves would also only be eligible for class X for the same reason.

I'm sure such exclusions aren't within what's intended by the wheelbase rule but there it is  :'(

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 11:44:49 pm »
I think this was covered in a post before. The ACTC minimum wheelbase was intended to screen out the hybrids and the "Trials" Bikes. It was never intended to stop other existing competing bikes from competing.
Also that wheelbase of 1350mm is actually wrong. I notified the council of this fact and it was even in the minutes but never got put in the regulations correctly.... It should also be as originally that Motorcycles that were produced of a type that could carry a pillion (even if that model had no provision for a pillion) i.e single seat fitted and pillion footrests removed. were not to be subject of a minimum wheelbase. I don't know how the wrong measurement ever got into the regulations or why despite my and (hopefully) subsequent coordinators requests it was never changed. I believe it was 1320mm. for modern trials bikes only.
the present wrong measurement excludes Serrows as well.
I will send a message to Chris in the hope that he can get this corrected.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 11:49:10 pm »
Message sent.  :)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 11:54:05 pm »
Ian, I reckon that you could rock up on the Honda or any other similar bike and "Politely Challenge" the regulations if required.
I know that this is wrong in the regulations.  :)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 02:44:17 pm »
Reply from The ACTC.

As the present ACTC Motorcycle Co-Ordinator, I have recently been asked about some discrepancies which have showed up in the supplementary regulations for bikes on some events have regs out already for 2019.
To try and clear some points up this is how the ACTC Classic Trials Series -Rules and Regulations ( Appendix B1) stand at this moment in time. This is NOT the whole appendix just some answers to the questions I have been asked.
Class A. This is for British built motorcycles, frame and engine,  pre 1970  .
All Classes A to C. The minimum wheelbase is  1320mm.   Therefore such models as the Montessa 4Ride, Ossa Explorer and TRS XTrack are permitted in Class. The previous 1350mm wheel base rule was changed in January 2018 as technically some older but popular bikes such as the Yamaha Serrow XT225 were a tad short!
Sidecars. To comply to Class D rules sidecars must have a nose cone fitted and a seat for the passenger. If an Enduro outfit is entered minus nosecone it should be classed as Class X.
Tyres. All bikes should be using trials block pattern tyres front and rear. (ACU regs TSR8. ) These are tyres with block tread pattern no more than 13mm deep, a spacing of no more than 9.5 mm between blocks and 13mm between rows of blocks. To easily summarize No Enduro style tyre, especially rear, or Maxxis Trialmaxx tyres. (thank good old KTM for getting that tyre produced!) Again if a bike is presented at scrutineering running incorrect tyres it should be classed as Class X or not permitted to compete in the case of an aggressive Enduro rear tyre! Class C (450cc +) can use Continental TKC80 and Michelin T63 tyres due to the difficulty in finding suitable rubber for the wheel rim sizes they normally run.
All of these rules can be found on the ACTC web site. To clarify these are the present rules stated for ACTC events. Effective from 1 January 2018. The ACU Trail Bike championship has variations on these regs. (Wheelbase, Fuel tank size and seat length)
If in the future these regulations are amended, well thatís for discussion at a later date and if any club wishes any guidance for scrutineers and motorcycles please contact me and I will assist as necessary.

Chris

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 02:46:48 pm »
Ian. As there is no mention of Make. model or such, only 1320mm then a change in sprocket size or an extra link in the chain might very well make the Honda 185 have a wheelbase of 1320mm...Ö  :D

Offline Ian T

• Club Members
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 06:54:01 pm »
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for getting clarification.

I'm going off the brochure figure for the wheelbase but I'll try to measure it as well.

I think everyone competes for fun, but the problem is if I won an award, someone else might (rightly) complain.

I'm just glad the MCC has simpler rules.

Cheers,

Ian.