Author Topic: New MOT rules for motorcycle lights  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
Re: New MOT rules for motorcycle lights
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 08:01:07 pm »
Also, personally, I think I would challenge this ruling if the indicators are original fitment, as that was the standard when the type certificate was issued, and I cannot see how such a ruling can be introduced retrospectively. DVLA/VOSA would never get away with such a retrospective ruling if it affected a £250k supercar which had somehow sneaked something "odd" through the certification process.

I think I'd have appealed that failure decision. The bike's original design will already have been approved by the authority. I've never heard of later regulations being applied to an earlier factory design.
Cheers, PW.

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
Re: New MOT rules for motorcycle lights
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 08:34:44 am »
Question is would Paul Davey have passed it?

that was my point. One tester may have applied the "guidance" differently to another, especially as it was clearly factory built and not retro-fitted - the apparent reason for the ruling.

So are those miniature clusters now contravening the Construction and Use regulations? If so, does that not mean that they must be defined as "fitted after original manufacture" or E marked or something? I recognise that the size of the number plate is all to do with observation (human or otherwise) and that the miniature clusters are synonymous with illegally-sized number plates but this seems a rather large but cheap hammer to crack a "nut" that I guess has the aim of avoiding camera recognition.

Surely the fact that a legally-sized number plate, clearly not tampered with, points to a legally-minded owner? It just goes to show how completely divorced from reality our law-makers are.