Author Topic: folding bike trailer project  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
Re: folding bike trailer project
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 03:58:20 pm »
And here is another piece of legislation that may prove useful... Looks like every home made trailer needs VOSA inspection/ Approval

http://www.armitagetrailers.com/trailerlaw.htm

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 05:59:06 pm »
Eeerrrrrr ok this started out as a box trailer that was made pre 2012 and I just modified it to take a motorcycle. And even with the heaviest model Harley onboard it will be under 750kg.  ;)

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 07:13:46 pm »
When do you start mass production?  ;)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 10:54:34 pm »
Eeerrrrrr ok this started out as a box trailer that was made pre 2012 and I just modified it to take a motorcycle. And even with the heaviest model Harley onboard it will be under 750kg.  ;)

Excellent...….  :D

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2018, 09:18:04 am »
Hey Steve I've been looking all over the gov.uk website and can't find any information regards lighting and triangles etc. Where did you get this info from. And don't point to the Percy Ware-Armatage Trailer Co website again   ;D
Must be official government statements only. Thanks.

I'll get a safety chain sorted out and a bumper or jocky wheel to stop the frontend from digging in etc. It does say that this can be achieved with  short safety chain. If it's short enough to prevent the coupling from hitting the deck but long enough to allow propper articulation of the trailer.

It's always best to keep it legal. ::)

Not sure how you can prove your trailer was constructed pre2012 though. And it doesn't say anything about repurposing a pre 2012 trailer.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2018, 09:57:07 am »
..... and a bumper or jocky wheel to stop the frontend from digging in ....
A skid on the underside should do; hopefully, it'll never have to function.

Not sure how you can prove your trailer was constructed pre2012.
Just say it was? After a couple of trials, the trailer will have that patina of age :).  And how many people keep receipts for the materials?

Welding looks nice by the way; certainly better than mine :(

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2018, 10:03:36 am »

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2018, 10:51:26 am »
I have the impression that these relatively recent "Euro regs" regarding small trailers have so far not been enforced; in practice they seem to have been filed in the "too difficult" tray at DVLA, who like any other government department, are not coping very well under their workload.

(Oh no - I mentioned the DVLA.....nightmare! Almost a month on, we're still waiting for them to sort out my wife's recently purchased but used Renault Trafic business van (my tow vehicle...). It seems they made a mistake on their database when it was first registered and now haven't been able to remove the previous keeper's "disabled" tax status so as non-disabled owners we can't tax it and legally drive it. Last estimate from them was six working weeks plus their Christmas shutdown. Seeing that we now have ANPR cameras at both ends of our village and at the filling stations down the road it's not worth the risk of flouting the regs.
Cheers, PW.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2018, 11:07:22 am »
Hey Steve I've been looking all over the gov.uk website and can't find any information regards lighting and triangles etc. Where did you get this info
It's always best to keep it legal. ::)
Not sure how you can prove your trailer was constructed pre2012 though. And it doesn't say anything about repurposing a pre 2012 trailer.

When I was modifying a trailer a couple of years back I went into my local Motor shop and asked for the type you've got on the back and was told they were not legal for trailers. So I ended up the triangle sort...

There are many rebuilt and renovated trailers on the road and many home builds before 2012...…..

A jocky wheel might prove useful as might a drop down stand (or two) at the back. I put them on my old single trailer and it meant i could load the bike on in the garage a day or so before a trial, without coupling it up....  :)

However your trailer looks really good and lightweight and compact... So might be best to keep it that way....

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2018, 11:12:30 am »
I now have an old but very good three bike trailer which I plan to put a couple of stands to the rear of....

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2018, 01:45:28 pm »
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/18/made

section 8 at the bottom

Doesn't seem to say a lot. No positional information. Certainly doesn't say the triangles have to be on the number board. So I dont see how my number board is illegal.

This is why we need to find genuine government rules. Everything else is hearsay, salesman crap and second hand bullshit.

As we all use trailers in this club maybe we should compile all these regs and pin them to a dedicated post. Could be very helpful.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2018, 07:32:47 pm »
Maybe bullshit was too strong a word but second hand advice has informed me today that I don't even need a light board at all with my setup. Just a number plate with a light because the bike doesn't actually obscure the vehicle lights.

However I'll be keeping the light board on and I've bought two triangle reflectors which I'll be attaching to the mudguards. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for all the advice chaps and thanks for the compliments too.

Have a merry Christmas guys and I hope to meet up with you at sparkford.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2018, 09:58:43 pm »
Wow.... I probably need not have bought a board then for my first trailer....

Have a good Yuletide yerself…  :D