Author Topic: Numbers. Size?  (Read 391 times)

Offline Mossberg

• Club Members
Numbers. Size?
« on: March 07, 2019, 05:15:54 pm »
I have understod the “Classic trials to first timers” that I shall have a number plate of 110 x 150 mm. My question is, I shall provide those numbers myself? Means that if I get a 3 digit no they must be quite small?
I have seen that off road bikes often use the almost vertical part of the front light cover for the front number. For the rear I have to arrange something. Comments?

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: Numbers. Size?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 06:17:27 pm »
Your two competition numbers will arrive in your competitors pack, which includes the control card, route instructions and the official programme.

The numbers are printed on paper so need to be protected from the wet and rain, otherwise, they'll  fall to pieces.  Options are to laminate them in plastic if you can, or place them inside a clear plastic sleeve.  The numbers can be fixed to the bike with gaffer (duct/duck) tape.

The numbers must be mounted vertically on the bike; one at the front; the other at the rear.  You're competing on a bike so your number is likely to be two digits.

Try to keep your numbers clear of mud during the trial; it will help the observers and the results team ;)

Offline Mossberg

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 10:39:55 pm »
Thank you Paul, i have arranged the vertikal one on the back. But on the front, is the headlight cover on an Honda XR600 (or xr400,  Kawa KLX, Suzuki DR, Yamaha XT etc) vertikal enought? ( They have some degrees slope.

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 10:54:17 pm »
Mossberg,

Just make sure the section observers can see the number and record it.

If you can light the rear one, so much the better. If not, don't be surprised if you get a torch shone at you on the night sections because each observer needs to record which vehicle is passing.

But on the headlight cover? It's going to be dark so you will need to use the headlight!
Cheers, PW.

Offline Mossberg

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 06:30:57 am »
But on most off-road bikes there is a number plate area above the lens.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 11:34:24 am »
You'll be ok with the number fixed above the headlight in that number plate area.  It's vertical enough.  That's where my number is going to be placed and most other modern trail bikes that are competing in the trial.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 06:39:29 pm »
Front above headlamp OK. Rear above the Number-plate OK. A flexible piece of polythene zip tied to something so its vertical (Or as near as can be) will be the best way to do it... Don't be tempted to make anything out of metal.  :)