Author Topic: Stages ok. But navigation..... huh!  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Mossberg

• Club Members
Stages ok. But navigation..... huh!
« on: December 17, 2018, 08:47:23 pm »
Dear Friends,
we are a couple of grey hairded friends from the middle of Sweden, who have red and viuwed on youtube about the MCC events. We have been talking about it for a couple of years. Became MCC members in 2017. Have renewed the membership for 2019. Is 2019 the year to go? I say as Thierry Sabine, founder of the Dakar Rally:
-A challange for those who go. A Dream for those who stay behind.
And here is my question:
-The step hills of the sections, the mud;  fine we apprioximately understands that. No problem.
-But the navigation between the sections? Do we get a map to follow in the Dark? Are there signs in every junction? Is there a road book that we get, which we shall put into a manual road book holder?

Please explain how this is done.

Best regards /Ulff Mossberg with Friends in Finspang, 200 km South of Stockholm.

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
Re: Stages ok. But navigation..... huh!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 09:47:12 pm »
Hello.

Shortly before the trial, you will be sent an A4 roadbook for the trial.  Also, in the News of the Week email will be a link where you can download a copy in Word of PDF format.

You can then amend this how you like to fit any roadbook holder you like or convert it into a symbol list or tulip diagram if you like.

The standard one is written in a verbose style and is very detailed but useful.  Also, there are 3 different starts to the Land's End Trial so you get to choose which one you start from.

I hope this helps.  Please feel free to ask more questions.

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:02:30 pm »
Hi Swedish guys,

It doesn't matter that you have grey hair, a lot of MCC competitors have gone past the grey and are now bald  ;D ;D

Which of the three trials do you want to enter ?
The Exeter in early January is cold and sometimes icy on Dartmoor, but you would be used to those conditions.
The Lands End is at Easter and the longest.
The Edinburgh is in early October and the shortest. This trial would also be the closest for you if you were to sail into Hull.

Whichever trial you choose I suspect someone could arrange for a copy of a previous road book to be sent to you so that you can see the format.

Do it, you won't regret it and keep posting on this forum. There are plenty of people who will give you all the information you require.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 08:54:45 am »
Ulf,  good to hear that you and your friends are going to compete in an MCC trial.  You and me had some email correspondence in September so I know you have a copy of the MCC document ‘Classic Trial Advice For First Time Motorcyclists’, which I can see has not answered all your questions. 

As David (tufty) says, you will be able to download a copy a copy of the route in Word or as a PDF.  These two versions are available to download about 2 weeks before the trial.  To give you some idea of what you will get, I will send you, by email, an MCC Word document for a previous trial together with my conversion of the document, which I placed in my route holder. 

There is a thread on the Forum, http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=45.0 , that shows the construction of a route holder and shows images of a converted MCC word document.  This thread should give you some ideas.

Have you arranged to get an ACU Trials Registration Card (licence) yet?  I believe that the ACU require an address in the UK.

Any other questions, we’re all pleased to answer :).

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 05:44:02 pm »
Groovy....

The roadbook is usually available electronically. I tried to translate one once into Russian for Liuda, however that proved a bit too problematical (My Russian is much worse than her English).

Now we have a Motorcycle type illuminated Roadbook holder on a RAM Ball mounting on the top of the dashboard so we can both read the English version.....  :D

Offline Mossberg

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 05:40:42 pm »
Hi,

thank you for your comment, especially Paul K, I have got the examples of riad books etc.

But the problem is the ACU licence. I have asked in December, beginning of January and finally today about how to proceed.
-An international  Swedish trail or Enduro licen will not cover the Insurance issue while its not a FOM sanctioned event.

-And as you wrote, an ACU licence requires an adress in Britain. (i guess)
In my last mail to ACU I asked, "please give me at least reply"
I had a conversatiopn with Yvonne at ACU. She should forward to trial and enduro guys, but no answer so far.

Best regars
Ulöf

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 10:55:56 pm »
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of the MCC

do you have swedish trials licence?

to qualify for british trials registration you must have an address in GB ( the exact wording is '' have an address in the british isles'') those more familiar with the legality's may be able to define what that actually means, although it does NOT say that you have to be British or live in Britain...

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 10:04:07 am »
-And as you wrote, an ACU licence requires an adress in Britain. (i guess)
I'll make some enquiries to see how the MCC has dealt with this problem in the past.

Offline Mossberg

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 08:53:00 am »
Unfortunately I do not get any reply when mailing ACU. Must call them.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 01:11:07 pm »
I'll make some enquiries to see how the MCC has dealt with this problem in the past.
Ulff, you can use my home address; I'll email you the details.

Offline John Kenny

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 09:36:11 pm »
Hi Ulff,

There are many solution for the route but, start simple. Touratech do this basic mapcase that fits on the handlebars.
https://shop.touratech.co.uk/endurolenker-map-bag-cm1.html
Good thing is you have to stop every so often to change/turn the page so it slows your pace down

Last Ulf I heard of from Sweden was a trials world champion so, no pressure...

Offline Mossberg

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 09:23:31 pm »
Hi John,
well Ulf Karlsson, yes he was world champion 1980. Born 1952. No, he is in a class of his own. Unfortunately he died exactly one year ago, 18th of February. 2018.
Thank you for the hint of navigation aid, I have borrowed a simple road book holder from a friend. And shall install some sort of light in  it.
But to start with we shall try to find a hotel close to the finish. I have got some good advice in another tread.

Offline Martin Bell

• Club Members
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 05:26:11 pm »
Probably worth pointing out that the route book gives distances in miles (not Swedish miles!!), which can be difficult to judge in the dark.
A simple mile counter, or phone app, that can be easily set back to zero would be a good addition to the kit, especially for someone perhaps more used to kilometeres.

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 12:41:38 am »
Hi Ulf,

MCC events run within a generous time frame. Speed and racing is not a feature of our events. To this end, events can be quite casual (other aspects can be challenging). In respect of finding your way around I am sure that you will be able to “buddy up” with other competitors. In this respect any issues with navigation can be eased. The individuals in the event are competing against the challenge set by the club, and not each other. Competitors are therefore quite willing to help a fellow competitor – just ask. This is a aspect that marks out our events form most others.
Jonathan L.

Offline Mossberg

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 05:49:57 pm »
Thank you Jonathan, you are strengthening our minds.
I guess that if we go to much north , it’s the see. To much south and west, also the see. To much east, then it’s london. And we will recognise london , been there before. So what can go wrong?