Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 3255 times)

david@whitepost.me.uk

Tyres
« on: November 02, 2018, 09:22:04 pm »
I've not been too happy with either the TKC80s or the MT43s so next weekend I'm doing a few green lanes and trying out a Mitas E-02 rear and a Maxxi front.

If I like them, and they perform well, I think that's how I'm going to run my bike.  It's a green lane bike after all.  The tyres are road legal.

Anyone have any experience of these tyres?

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 11:14:36 pm »
What were your reasons for being dissatisfied with the MT43s?  It's the most popular for MCC events.

What particular Maxxis tread pattern are you fitting?

The Mitas E-02 looks like it could clog up pretty quickly.  My only experience of Mitas tyres is the E-07, which I only ever used on tarmac and was hard wearing and had stiff walls.  No idea what it was like in the mud.

I've used a Mitas trials pattern off-road; again hard wearing, stiff walls and tough to fit.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 09:12:01 am »
If you are going down the Mitas route then you are best off with the ET-01.

I always use one of these on the front and have one on the back of my Enfield. Can't fit one on the back of my Honda otherwise I'd have one on that too.

Like Paul says very stiff sidewalls on the rears. I've been using my Honda for work and the front seems very grippy on the road even in the wet.

I always buy mine from Tyre Finder Mick. He used to do the shows but he just does mail-order now. He's a big fan of the club too. I just bought a new ET-01 front of him for £46 including the postage. His number is 07796 188283.

Hope this helps.

david@whitepost.me.uk

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 09:50:51 am »
Sorry, made a mistake with the names.  The Mitas rear I have is the C-02 which, I think, has not much chance of clogging up.

Not sure of which Maxxi I'm getting, my mate is choosing that one for me.

The issue I have with the MT43's is that muddy trails quickly become like ice.  The tyres clog up and just become muddy circles, which is similar to the TKC80s.  Both times I've fallen off due to no traction on the front has been with the TKCs.

I'm getting a bit fed up of changing my tyres for the trials, so I want something I am happy with that I can keep on all of the time.

I'll have a look at the ET-01.

Thanks for the info for Tyre Finder.  I don't know what it is about them, but I love looking at tyres. 

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 10:31:24 am »
I'm going to swap my tyres over on the Honda tomorrow. New ET-01 on the front and a Bridgestone trailwing on the rear. Hope that combination works OK. We'll see on Monday morning when I go to work.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 06:41:09 pm »

IMHO you can't beat an MT43. We use them for both trials and trail riding as standard. There's a reason they're a de facto standard.

Word.   :)
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 07:06:21 pm »
IMHO you can't beat an MT43. We use them for both trials and trail riding as standard. There's a reason they're a de facto standard

Won't fit my bike unfortunately. It has to be a very specific size or it fouls the back of my swinging arm. Hence the bridgestone.

david@whitepost.me.uk

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 10:27:17 am »
I have to point out that the other times I've fallen off are due to lack of ability or confidence.

The MT43's are a good tyre, and are the right choice for the trials, but for general green laning they're just not grippy in wet, muddy conditions and clog too easily.  The TKC's are a great tyre for mixing off road with road riding, I've found them great for that, but as soon as the ground gets slippy they're not that good.

That's why I'm trying this tyre combo to see how I get on.  Once my confidence is back up, maybe I'll switch back, or I might just keep them on for the trials and forego any medal hope.

david@whitepost.me.uk

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 06:31:45 pm »
Funny you should say that, I'm currently trying 20psi to see how I like it.

I know it's not that low but the bike is about 180kg with fuel. 

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 11:07:37 pm »
I refer you to my previous comment somewhere else.    :)

I would only use 10-12psi. And down to 5psi on Hoskin or such.
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

david@whitepost.me.uk

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 08:26:26 am »
Too many risks associated with low tyre pressures.  I certainly do not want to be getting punctures.

Also, despite starting the thread on this site, I was hoping to widen conversation, so I'm finding a solution not just for trials but for general green lane riding.  I appreciate that lower pressures provide more grip, but I want to be riding road and trail without having to adjust pressures all the time and am looking for a happy medium between grip on the lanes and speed limit road riding.

It may be impossible to find that happy nirvana but it's worth investigating.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 12:56:06 pm »
10-12psi is not really low.

Not had a trials related puncture on the rear on a Bike in a Trial.

On me Beta Alp 200 I run 6-7psi. No problems.

Had one puncture on the front caused by a thorn on my Velo at 10psi. (Finished the trial).

And one puncture to the front on the Beta 200 at 10psi. Caused by a over sharp security bolt and contact with the edge of a drainage ditch. (Trial also finished with the use of  half a can of tyre selant (Naff can) and about 20 Co2 cartridges

:)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 01:01:01 pm »
I usually run the whole trial with about 12 psi front and rear.  If a section looks particularly slippy I'll drop the pressure a bit more, but, like Tufty, I'm not going to be adjusting tyre pressures if I can possibly help it.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 01:03:18 pm »
I only adjust the pressures for a couple of hills. And to ride back.....  :)

david@whitepost.me.uk

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 02:14:30 pm »
I'll have a play with pressures.  I'm out for a day on the lanes on Saturday, so maybe I'll take them somewhere between 10 and 20psi and see how I get on.