Author Topic: Beta Alp 200 Topics  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Beta Alp 200 Topics
« on: October 25, 2018, 03:28:13 pm »
My Beta alp (2000) sits in the garage since it stopped at the Carsington water halt in 2017 and did not run again
Alp experts tell me "It could be your electronic box, we cant test it you will have to fit a new one (£250) to see , of course it may be something else"
Its a very competent machine it got me a silver for the first time in many years it has a illuminated tesco salad box to hold my rote card-very swish
But it lacks some charisma and that's what I need on a wet night with every signpost saying "South Moulton 8 miles"
I will either have to mend it, sell it or wait another 7 years until its VMCC eligible :-)
You might not be able to check out the ECU directly, but have you eliminated all the circuitry that provides inputs to the ECU and to the circuitry that receives the outputs of the ECU?  If you havenít, take a look at the wiring diagram in the Beta Ownerís Manual.  If you havenít got one, you can download a copy from the Beta website.

Youíre pretty clued up I know, so Iím assuming that youíve checked the 10 A fuse and connections to the coil ;).  First off, disconnect the wiring connector to the ECU (central electron in Italian) to get access to the pins to and from the ECU, then get out the multimeter.

First thing to check is the 12 V supply to the ECU; this comes from the ignition switch, through the side-stand relay and the kill switch to the ECU.  It should be the white/yellow wire at the ECU connector.  You should be seeing 12 V with the ignition switch on.

The second thing to check is the connection to ground, which is the black wire.

The third areas to look at are the pins from the pick-up (yellow/black wire and white/red wire) and the pin to the coil (bobine) (black/red wire).  See if you have an acceptable resistance reading.

Fourth, to check the circuitry from the generator (white/brown wire).  See if you have an acceptable resistance reading.  You might even see a voltage output if someone spins the engine.

There could be some errors in the above and itís based on the wiring diagram for a 2006 Beta alp 200, but you can get the gist of what can be done :).

If the problem is not found after these checks, then might be worth a punt at a new ECU :(.

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
Re: Beta Alp 200 Topics
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 03:07:44 pm »
Cheers Paul
Yes I must have another crack at it  I just have a few other bikes to sort... I will allocate a day

Thanks for your help

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 09:46:30 pm »
You can download a parts catalogue pdf from the Beta website at http://www.betamotor.com/en/support/exploded

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 11:06:00 am »
cut out the messing and give lampkins a call, they could not have been more helpful they know their bikes they ve been importing them for donkeys years..

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 07:02:38 pm »
They don't repair only import. But there is a great deal of knowledge there and they also have an information link direct to the Beta Technical team in the factory.   :)