Author Topic: Royal Enfield Himalaya  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
Royal Enfield Himalaya
« on: October 17, 2018, 06:03:45 pm »
Not suggesting I would enter one of the new Enfield Himalaya's in an MCC trial but has anyone got one or had a test ride ?
Looks and sounds like an interesting bike for general road use and I could be tempted.
Perhaps a bit heavier than I would have liked but any observations would be appreciated.
Got to be good value at £4200 otr.
:P :P

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
Re: Royal Enfield Himalaya
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 08:16:09 am »
I absolutely agree there are far too many of those fake off road styling exercises going round and when it comes to the limited trail bike market what ever happened to people with short legs? apart from the Honda 250 it looks like the second hand market and if I have to have an old bike I might as well use a British one my 1952 TR5 is too nice to use except in class O but I fancy a final fling in the full trial so I am hoping to have a TriGrumph ready for Easter here's hoping for a warm winter in the workshop.

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 05:01:32 pm »
I have a couple of pals who have looked at the Himalayan and also had test rides. They were both pleasantly surprised by how good it appears to be.
One has recently returned from a multi country European tour on his big Triumph adventure style bike and commented that some of the roads were so good visually in Spain and Germany that he wished he was travelling more slowly and that was where the idea of the Himalayan started for him.

Personally I have a Kawasaki Versys 650 as my "big" road bike but I was considering trading it for a Himalayan to retain the style of bike but downsizing on power and complexity as well as seat height and weight.
However, the power at just 24bhp seems just a bit much to accept particularly when I consider that I already have two bikes in my stable which each produce 20bhp and which I love to death. My 1973 MZ ES250/2 and MZ TS 250/1 will never be sold and when I ride one I can never decide which of the two I prefer.
So, I guess I have made my decision easy. Retain the Versys until I feel it is just too big to handle comfortably and at that point revert to riding the MZs.
Sorry Royal Enfield, but good luck with the sales, I will be watching the Himalayan with interest.

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 09:50:34 pm »
I was recently offered the chance to test ride a Himalayan at a RE dealer.

However, having sat on it I realised that being probably somewhere near last in the queue when it came to leg length, and more recently having began to suffer from what appears to be age related hip discomfort, if caught off balance on an off road section I might struggle to get my leg high enough to get off again in a hurry. Not so much the seat height per se, but more the "lozenge" shaped upper rear frame of the bike. So I declined the offer to borrow it for a day.

I'll just carry on enjoying my iron barrelled, Indian made RE Bullet 350 with a low seat. It only cost about one third of the price of a Himalayan anyway so if I do drop it, it's not the end of the world! I haven't dropped it yet after eighteen months and well over 3,000 miles of pottering around the Peak District, on and off road.

I've ridden it more than my 1991 Honda CB750 - it only has a quarter of the power of that bike but in many ways more fun to ride.
Cheers, PW.

Offline David (tufty) White

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 11:12:58 pm »
I think they look great.  I spotted a couple in a shop window in Shipley, Yorks, whilst I was working up there.

If you look on YouTube there is a GS-Vintage video of one along side an old G/S doing some route I think in the Italian Alps.  A great set of videos from GS-Vintage by the way,

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 05:38:51 pm »

[/quote]
It's nice to have a couple of machines like that. Going off topic, but are they ISDT-ised?
[/quote]

The short answer is no but:
The TS 250/1 was my first MZ bought in 1982 and which I used in the old Class A (road tyres) in 1985 in my first MCC trial. I just fitted some wider bars and a crude bash plate but that kickstarted my time with the club. It has now been reverted back to almost original road trim apart from a Honda tls front brake.
The ES 250/2, with the leading link forks and "banana" headlamp/petrol tank, is one of the first MZs I ever saw in the mags in the 70's and in 2009 a good example popped up on flea bay. It too is virtually standard apart from electronic regulator etc.
Both bikes have been used to take me to Ireland, Scotland, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, Spain and The Netherlands.

Gary McCarthy has what is probably the nicest replica ISDT replica. He spent a long time researching the original G5 and then adapted a myriad of MZ parts from other models to produce something that only a true MZisti could tell was not a genuine replica.
Gary and I trail ride regularly in Essex and he recently bought an AJP. However the MZ has been out again on the trails and he is singing it's praises once more and threatening to sell the AJP.

Going off topic also but sorry I don't know how to use the "Insert quote" element correctly.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 12:48:48 pm »
Going off topic also but sorry I don't know how to use the "Insert quote" element correctly.
Click on the Quote icon at the top right of the message you want to quote. Keep all the quoted text, or delete what text you don't want.   :D