Author Topic: Dudwood  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: Dudwood
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 06:09:06 pm »
I knew I was doing something wrong :)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 06:57:51 pm »
 ;D

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 10:26:21 am »
I agree with Ian Hingley about class O.

Dead end sections are a pain on a bike - Bishops Wood class O has the most ridiculous extra 15 yards into a rutted cul-de-sac. Dragging a rigid Matchless road bike out of that in 2015 (after breaking it's engine, literally, on Hangman's Hill; a one day trial hill if there ever was one {Chairman's Trial hill}) made me realise that class O wasn't really suitable for a classic road bike on trials tyres.

IMHO it seems that class O is almost where the main trial was 10 years ago, but without the 100 mile ride in, and the famous names.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 02:29:14 pm »
IMHO it seems that class O is almost where the main trial was 10 years ago, but without the 100 mile ride in, and the famous names.

I have heard it said that Class 0 is not necessarily easier than classes 1-8.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 02:32:12 pm »
Of course if its position in the Class structure is correct (Class Zero) then the machines entered would stand less chance of cleaning a hill than Class One. (Well that was the original intention).

However Class Zero seems to have morphed into a Trialing Sub-genre.

Same as Class X may very soon do.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 02:35:10 pm by Stephen Bailey »

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 02:34:11 pm »
There is no doubt about it that Sections (For some reason or reasons) do seem to be getting tougher.

This may be seen in the continuing re classification of certain cars from Class 7 into Class 5 or such. and the progression of the cut off date for Class A Motorcycles.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 02:37:16 pm by Stephen Bailey »

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 08:19:49 am »
As an early teaser, class O on the Edinburgh in 2019 will differ significantly .. significantly... from recent years.. watch this space/ get a car/bike/ trike/sidecar prepared.

Offline Anthony Costigan

• Club Members
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 02:04:28 pm »
I will be interested to see any changes .
I am usually a marshal on the Edinburgh but never at Dudwood to see what it is like in October.
However I am very familiar with both Dudwood sections from when they were first used by VSCC(long before first used by MCC) and when I encouraged use Of Dudwood 2 . I have been involved both as a co-organiser of the VSCC John Harris Trial and as occasional competitor. I have been very surprised at its inclusion by MCC in class 0 (regardless of whether it is a through section - it was when first used by VSCC but has been extended by MCC so that it no longer is) as it seems far too rough for the original concept of Class 0.

Similarly I would not like to take my vintage trials car up Excelsior these days , let alone what ought to be OK as a class 0 vehicle - the restart area has cut up so much since last used by VSCC in 2011.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 03:06:33 pm »
The changes muted above on the 7th Jan. have now been agreed for this years Edinburgh. Full details in the next issue of Triple. But i m confident that all issues raised have been addressed and a number of projects will be complete allowing us to run Class O as its originators proposed and a couple of  ideas will be used  that are unique to the Edinburgh. 

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
  • ring ting ting ting....
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 09:03:50 pm »
an end to the 'dead end' ?  ::)

Offline John Kenny

• Club Members
Re: Dudwood (keep it!)
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 11:17:54 pm »
Itís the variety of the sections in the Edinburgh that makes it a great event, for me itís the best of the three overnight trials.

Personally, I enjoy Dudwood and look forward to it.