Author Topic: Punctures - Best Cure  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Punctures - Best Cure
« on: October 03, 2018, 07:24:47 am »
Have you ever tried "Slime"....?

Julien used it in his Beta 350 for a couple of years at about 10lb. No problems, but when he took the tube out after, it was full of holes gunged up with green stuff, Thus proving it did work.

I tried Slime to fix one of my recent punctures - it didn't work but then it was a quite big pair of holes. Compression puncture I think.

A mate swears by the stuff and on a recent desert trip ran a Tubeliss conversion, slime and zero psi and had no punctures.

I have a couple more bottles ready to use - we will see.
I've always carried a bottle of Slime and used it three times.  The first was as a preventative measure, but I found difficulty in reducing the tyre pressure because the Slime blocked the valve, reacting to that as a puncture. On the other two occasions, I lent the Slime to riders that had punctures; on both occasions, the tyre went flat and the wheel had to come out again and a replacement tube fitted. Having said all that, I'm still carrying a bottle on the trials just in case it might work; it might save removing a wheel.

On my road bike, I'm now carrying a bottle of BikeSeal, which is a bit large for carrying on the trials.  BikeSeal claims to seal punctures up to 15 mm.  Not had to use it yet.

My punctures on trials have been mainly due to concussion punctures whereby the tube has a large split.  Only a replacement tube will cure that so I've always carry spare tubes on the trials.

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
Re: Punctures - Best Cure
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 12:55:55 pm »
Hi Ian,
That TrailStand looks a nifty bit of kit.
I see it costs $32 but what about shipping costs from the States and are you likely to get an import bill from HMRC ?

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 02:53:35 pm »
Hmm. I do like the look of that trail stand but not a $55 price tag.
Not to difficult to manufacture something similar on a DIY basis..
Cheers, PW.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 04:37:51 pm »
I've been using a trail stand for about fourteen years now. They are brilliant and stable for both front and rear wheel removal. You might want to drill a few more holes for added versality in the height department. However with Beta using car type rims it takes a lot of time to break the bead. My rims now have the rims power-filed down near the valve and the bead lock with a standard bead lock replacing the Beta type.

As for Slime. I think you are meant to use it in a new tube before you get any punctures, as it coats the inside of the tube and is deployed immediately and saves faffing around once you have a puncture. Just set the pressure to what you require and two years later put in a fresh tube and another bottle of slime. Sorted.
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 11:18:27 pm »
I did just that. For the rear wheel, I made a U-shape bracket that engages with the swinging arm and slots into a two-part leg.  For the front I made a T-shape bracket that fits into and under the skid plate and also slots into a two-part leg.  Not a lot of weight and dismantles to an easily stowable size. Cost was about a fiver and a few hours mucking about with the grinder and the welder.

Also best to tie the front brake lever on when the rear wheel is jacked up to stop the bike rolling off the stand. If I get a chance I'll post some photos of the two.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 03:13:19 pm »
In my tool bag I have some of these tyre levers that also incorporate a bead breaker: https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0519.

Even with these I still find it a challenge to break the bead on an Alp. Filing may be the answer.....
Yes. And Motion Pro. Excellent tools.
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 03:15:51 pm »
I did just that. For the rear wheel, I made a U-shape bracket that engages with the swinging arm and slots into a two-part leg.  For the front I made a T-shape bracket that fits into and under the skid plate and also slots into a two-part leg.  Not a lot of weight and dismantles to an easily stowable size. Cost was about a fiver and a few hours mucking about with the grinder and the welder.

Also best to tie the front brake lever on when the rear wheel is jacked up to stop the bike rolling off the stand. If I get a chance I'll post some photos of the two.

Excellent. Or bungee the rear brake or put in gear if taking out the front wheel.

(Place stand in different positions depending on which wheel you want to remove.).

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 05:05:39 pm »
As promised, here’s the wheel stand assemblies I knocked up for the front and rear wheels.  It also helps to chock the front or rear wheel, depending on which wheel is being raised, to stop the bike moving about. Two M6 screws hold the telescopic parts together.  For soft ground, you'll need a foot at the base; I've got a small square of plywood packed.

Fig 1 Rear wheel stand
The rear stand has a slot to engage with the caliper-stop in the swinging arm. That arrangement prevents the stand from sliding up the swinging arm.

Fig 2 Front wheel stand
The head of the stand engages with two holes drilled in the skid plate, either side of the bottom frame tube.

Fig 3 Stand Assemblies
The centre, square tube is common to front and rear stands.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 11:20:01 am »
Ooooooo…. My stand is tubular and adjustable by means of holes and a pin and just fits a few inches in front or behind the side-stand point on the other side. So only one stand required. And it has about 8 inches adjustability to take into account uneven ground.

Maybe you can make yours similar Paul? To save on equipment and weight.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 12:02:32 pm »
Maybe you can make yours similar Paul? To save on equipment and weight.
No chance; done enough mucking about making that one and the weight difference would be negligible I suspect :)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 12:56:40 pm »
 :)