Author Topic: Exeter 2019  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Lee Sample

• Club Members
Re: Exeter 2019
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 01:01:50 pm »
Just entered :-)  requested a late number from Popham in the hope that Matt gets an earlyish one from sourton and we can run close together - us Rangers survive better with pooled spares lol

now, just a total front suspension rebuild to do before January.....

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 10:38:55 am »
Which hotels are we staying at this year. Do we have a discount and if so do we have to quote anything to get it?

Cheers
Jason

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 07:24:37 pm »
Just booked my room. ;D

Offline Mike Tucker

• Club Members
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 10:02:22 pm »
Entered - just got to get rid of pneumonia and I will be there!

Offline Lionel Cox

• Club Members
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 09:42:46 am »
Hi can you please tell me where the exact Exeter SOURTON CROSS (Nr. Okehampton) start is this year. Is it the Betty Cottales Inn or the A38 Travel Lodge?
Cheers

Offline Lee Sample

• Club Members
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 08:35:48 am »
well, the ranger is ready as it will ever be, drove it into work this morning for a final shakedown (literally - i think i have a wheel out of balance lol), and everything is well.

looking forward to seeing all of you fine chaps and chapesses out on the trial!

good luck everyone, and dont forget to wrap up warm - it looks like its going to be cold and dry.

Lee

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 11:59:51 am »
Well, what a trial! This was the first time I have done the main trial since 2013 so whilst I'd been up many of the hills some have changed their character since then.

I rode up from Okey to Haynes (chilly), and then dry as dry could be from Haynes to Crealy but still cold. The frost on top of Peak Hill (above Sidmouth) was impressive even in the dark. Nothing really difficult on the sections (I think) although Clinton was rougher than I remember. I fouled up on Waterloo at the first bend by going wide, but otherwise it went well, though cold. Timewise we seemed to be well ahead of schedule even though we didn't ride fast, I suppose it's because the sections were all clearing quickly. Did I mention that it was cold? Well it certainly warmed up west of Exeter in all respects!

Kingswell 1 and 2 were cancelled (hooray) but Tillerton was all jammed up with riders queueing well up the lane opposite. It looked to be unusually tricky and indeed it was, with little grip and greasy mud over the rocky bits too. Tried to use the left rut and got onto the slab but went all awry there without falling off, but stalled and needed to restart on the slab and even the rest of it was hard going and needed a dab or two...

Back onto the old A30 and "operation stack" was in place after the A30 Cheriton junction. On to Fingle (lovely) and Woosten (leafy but lots of grip) and so on to Simms. Again, like Tillerton, in the small line of waiting bikes, a few bikes and outfits were taking the escape road so you could tell it wasn't easy, but on the hill it was rough. I took (ie the bike ended up) in the left hand "rut"and that wasn't too easy - I haven't much ground clearance so I was sure glad to have a bash plate. But we managed it, just, and was pleased to see the stop marshal at the top relatively unscathed. Tipley followed - the stream culvert is damaged and there's a 12" step just to get to the start line! Beyond that the hill has got significantly rougher over time so it was a proper fight to get up - and the section ends board was right at the top where it meets the X lane!

After that Rocombe (slippery Sam) was an anticlimax, even the exit lane was dry bar a little mud in the lowest part, though plenty of hedge trimmings. And so on to Torquay and the run right through the town centre to the finish.

Brilliant fun. Thanks to all those officials and marshals who make it happen.

Rick (rider 29 Suzy SP370)