Author Topic: Bike Tyres - Class C Proposals  (Read 2819 times)

Offline John Kenny

• Club Members
Bike Tyres - Class C Proposals
« on: September 05, 2018, 04:29:32 pm »
Hi all,

The bikes in Class C (over 450cc) have only two alternative tyres after trials tyres: Continental TKC80 and Michelin T63. With the T63 discontinued by Michelin, I propose for discussion some alternatives to widen the choice of "approved" tyres for the bigger bikes that need a tyre with a higher load/speed rating than trials tyres normally offer.

Load/Speed figures quoted for REAR tyres, for reference Pirelli MT43 is 64P load/speed rated.

Kenda Equilibrium Hybrid

One of the "new" wave of hybrid tyres, cross between a trials and enduro tyre. 70M load/speed.

Mitas E-09

Popular amongst the Adv crowd and often quoted as a replacement for the Michelin T63. 70R load/speed.

Michelin Desert Race

Similar in look / pattern to the T63, perhaps a little more spacing between the knobbles. 70R load/speed.

Motoz Xtreme Hybrid

Another Trials/Enduro hybrid tyre. 68M load/speed.

Michelin Anakee Wild

Looks less aggressive than the others shown, but more biased to the bigger bikes like the BMW GS. 70R load/speed.

Maxxis Trialmaxx

Yet another trials/enduro hybrid. Gaps wider than a regular trials tyre but not aggressive like an enduro tyre.  (Can't find rating)

I've used some, not all, but having seen how quickly a KTM 690 ate through an MT43, I'm keen to explore more options.

Discuss!

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: Bike Tyres - Class C Proposals
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 10:24:27 pm »
The MCC standing Supplementary Regulations for 2019 now state:

The space between the tread blocks must NOT extend across the complete tyre, measured at right angles to the tyre wall unless broken by a block. In addition competitors in class C ONLY will be permitted to use either Continental TKC 80 tyres, Michelin T63 tyres, Dunlop 603 tyres, Kenda 270 tyres or Bridgestone Trailwing 302 tyres.

However, this is a guide since the Club is loathe to produce a definitive list of approved tyres as used to be the case with the cars. So if you wish to establish if a particular bike tyre is acceptable, then Dick Peachey is the man to speak to.

Offline John Kenny

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 06:31:30 pm »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for that, hadn't realised the regs had changed. Some of the new(?) additions look promising.

At face value I'd say almost every off-roadable tyre meets the "tread blocks must NOT extend across the complete tyre, measured at right angles to the tyre wall unless broken by a block" guidance but I do understand the need to keep them grippy rather than rippy.

Looks like I've some tyre testing to do!

Cheers

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 09:20:43 am »
I do think  consideration and investigation should also include available tyre diameters for a pattern  some of us are still on 19 inch and even nowadays a a 650 triumph can be called a  big bike ( even my mild 500 1952 Trophy eats MT43 on the road on wrinkly runs)   and i also remember the fun I had looking for 17 inch tires for my old trans alp

Offline John Kenny

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 07:44:58 pm »
I do think  consideration and investigation should also include available tyre diameters for a pattern  some of us are still on 19 inch and even nowadays a a 650 triumph can be called a  big bike ( even my mild 500 1952 Trophy eats MT43 on the road on wrinkly runs)   and i also remember the fun I had looking for 17 inch tires for my old trans alp
Hi Tim,

I do recall some of the tyres I looked at (above) were available as rears in 19Ē but I donít recall which ones, sorry.

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 05:10:37 pm »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for that, hadn't realised the regs had changed. Some of the new(?) additions look promising.

At face value I'd say almost every off-roadable tyre meets the "tread blocks must NOT extend across the complete tyre, measured at right angles to the tyre wall unless broken by a block" guidance but I do understand the need to keep them grippy rather than rippy.

Looks like I've some tyre testing to do!

Cheers

To me reading the regs it would seem that in the above pictures Mitas E-09 and Michelen Anakee wild  are non starters no chance of getting Litton Slack back if those sod movers were allowed!

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 07:25:24 am »
Anyone ever tried the mitas E-09 on mud. If so was it any good. Most of these types of tyre are described as desert tyres so never sure what they will be like on the greasy sticky stuff.

I'm on the lookout for a 120-80-18 tyre. Anything with a tall sidewall won't fit in my swingarm. The standard 4.00 18 trials tyre for example won't work for me.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 01:13:10 pm »
I do recall some of the tyres I looked at (above) were available as rears in 19Ē but I donít recall which ones, sorry.

The Maxxis Trialmaxx Were available in 19".

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 07:19:36 am »
Don't think the Trialmaxx is a road legal tyre.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 02:53:51 pm »
Don't think the Trialmaxx is a road legal tyre.

Their info says it is:

Maxxis TRIALMAXX  'E' 64M Road Legal Tyre

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 06:40:47 pm »
I'm on the lookout for a 120-80-18 tyre. Anything with a tall sidewall won't fit in my swingarm. The standard 4.00 18 trials tyre for example won't work for me.
Jason, have you looked at the Mitas E-07?  It's available as 120/80-18.  I've used them on a dual sport I built, but tarmac only.  They were hard wearing so I suspect if you were to use them for trials you'd be running lower pressures than you would for say an MT43.  The tread pattern will meet the SSR because the 'space between the tread blocks must NOT extend across the complete tyre'.  A lot of round the world riders use them so plenty of reviews.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 06:49:49 pm »
OK thanks. I couldn't find any information on the Trialmaxx and it was in the competition section of their catalogue.

I'm getting a bit despondent regards finding a suitable 120 80 18 tyre. Someone in Italy is selling a bridgestone ED78 but I'm not sure if this is eligible for class B. Can't find a UK supplier for these. More digging required.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 06:54:15 pm »
E-07 is a cat paw patten. Not good in mud

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 05:29:16 pm »
Ah; right; no good then.  I don't think the Bridgestone ED78 will be eligible; it doesn't look like it meets the requirement 'The space between the tread blocks must NOT extend across the complete tyre'.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 06:32:57 pm »
That's a shame.

What about the Pirelli MT21. They do this in a 120/80 18.

It says it's road legal but only just  ::)