Author Topic: enfield gearing help  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
enfield gearing help
« on: September 03, 2018, 10:21:06 pm »
Hi, I'm rebuilding my 350 bullet at the moment and currently have the gearbox in bits. I'm considering installing those lower ratio gears offered by Hitchcocks. Is anyone currently using these in their gearbox or can the gearing be altered sufficiently using front and rear sprockets.

Any advice welcome thanks

Jason

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
Re: enfield gearing help
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 09:36:09 pm »
One more question if i may, any suggestions regards rear tyres. Standard swing arms are quite narrow. My Mitas 400x18 won't fit in and Hitchcocks want £270 for their home produced wider swing arm.

How did you enfield rider's solve this one?

Cheers Jason

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 07:45:00 pm »
Thanks for the reply Ian. I'm a northerner so don't  live anywhere near Andover but thanks anyway.

I wouldn't mind contacting a few of the enfield owners, i was hoping to start a discussion with a few on this thread.  It's  a bit of a long shot though as not everyone is looking on here. Might ask Simon if he could mention it in NOTW.

You can't beat a bit of knowledge sharing and or even parts selling or swapping etc.

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 08:09:51 pm »
Jason,

I have a 2004 Bullet 350. Seeing as I like a bit of unsealed road riding I fitted a knobbly Heidenau 3.25/19" to the front wheel to replace the slippery old OE ribbed tyre but soon realised the shoulders sat uncomfortably close to the mudguard brackets:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heidenau-K67-Classic-Trials-3-25-19-54T-T-T/272290393961?epid=1575342283&hash=item3f65c5af69:g:sJMAAOSwinZa~hpE

I decided to try it on the back wheel instead (where I'd originally planned to use a 3.50 or 4.00 x 19).

I replaced it with a knobbly Maxxis CST 3.00 x 19" on the front:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CST-By-Maxxis-C186-50N-E4-4pr-Trail-On-Off-Road-Motor-Bike-Rear-Tyre-300-19/292150551065?hash=item440587a219:g:l8EAAOSw-29ZQSYY

I was a bit concerned that the tyres might be too narrow but in fact the bike handles beautifully (I sometimes get carried away and lean it over far enough on the road to scrape the centre stand) and I have since often off-roaded the bike in the Peak District. I'd be happy to use the bike on an MCC trial on these tyres.
Cheers, PW.

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 09:33:47 pm »
I've just read your comments on the other thread and see that your bike has 18" wheels. You appear to be more limited in choice of tyres with that diameter. However, my comment about narrow tyres might still be relevant.

As far as lowering the gears goes, all I can say is that my bike happily chugs and potters up most off unpaved hills in second.
Cheers, PW.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 08:38:44 am »
Wheaters thanks for the replies. This might get confusing but I have several bikes and projects on the go plus a suzuki X90 which I'm doing the Edinburgh in with my son this year.

The other thread regards tyres is for my Honda sl230. It's a modern day version of the honda xl185 I would say. and whilst it's a lovely little bike its bit too modern for me.

I have a 1954 Ariel VB600 project which im building from scratch. This is a long-term project though. And I have a 1967 enfield bullet which I'm building to replace the modern Honda I just mentioned. I'm trying to get the enfield ready for the Exeter but if I fail I'll be using the Honda. I would like to be on the enfield for the lands end for definite.

The X90 will be up for sale after the Edinburgh.  Its not enough of a challenge for me in a modern car with a roof, heater and radio, and i don't feel part of the motorcycle brotherhood either and I miss that when I'm in the car.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 12:05:17 pm »
and you don't feel part of the motorcycle brotherhood either and I miss that when I'm in the car.
It's like a religion, or a drugs :o ;D

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 07:13:45 pm »
Let's not forget the sisters. Nothing better than seeing the sisters out there giving it a go.  8)

You definitely belong to a family when you choose two wheels.  ;)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 04:55:51 pm »

You definitely belong to a family when you choose two wheels.  ;)

The MCC is one big family whether on Two, Three or Four.   :)

Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline John Kenny

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 07:03:55 pm »
Having come from cars, I enjoyed the slower pace and time to chat brought about by queueing. But sometimes the queues were tedious.

Bikes, less queues but often less time to chat as youíre ready to go the moment you get to a section.

Some people are never happy...