Author Topic: Beta XTrainer  (Read 4740 times)

Offline jenconnor

Re: Beta XTrainer
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 10:52:52 pm »
Hello,

Not too far from me and I will be around that weekend too.

I am interested to see what modifications people make to their machines so I will do my best to catch the start.

Is it appropriate to follow the event, by car or bike, just to get a feel for what is involved?

Much appreciated.
Jen

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 03:17:31 pm »
Best to enter. :-)

You wont really know what to alter (If needed). until you try the hills.

Second best is to go to the Start or Lunchtime Stop and have a wander round looking at machines.

Also dont forget clothing. Warm & Waterproof. And somewhere to stash the mid layers should it heat up.

Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 05:46:02 pm »
Bit late to enter the Edinburgh now but I would agree that going to the start at Tamworth and having a good look around the bikes is a great introduction. Feel free to ask all the daft questions you wish and you will find 99% of riders will be happy to talk and advise.
Don't try and follow the event, you will only get lost and horribly confused by all the twists and turns and then find yourself at the bottom of a section where you will likely be diplomatically asked to turn round and back track against the incoming flow of competitors where you won't be quite so popular !!!
You could also ask for a copy of the programme to be sent to you and that will list all the sections. Corkscrew or Jenkins Chapel as it used to be called is a brilliant section for bikes and would give you a great chance to see what to expect and how riders cope with the restart.
Litton Slack is another spectacular hill which has been out of use for several years.
Both Corkscrew and Litton are relatively easy to access by bike once you have the correct location from the programme.
Also riding through the night to the sections will give you some indication of what to expect when you finally enter a trial. Just make sure you have some spare fuel with you !!

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 06:06:58 pm »
The Clerk of Course does not want any spectators; the wording on the website has now changed to state:

'The Peak District is an extremely sensitive area for all motorsport and maintaining good relations with those who live in the areas we pass through is essential to the continuity of the event. We therefore ask you NOT to spectate at sections except where you are an official observer for the MCC.'

As Ratty and Tony have said, go the the start at Tamworth, wander around, chat, ask question and take photos of the various mods.  You can also go to the breakfast stop and do the same, then at the finish.

Riding the bike through the night will also give you a good idea on how your kit is in the conditions.  Get hold of a programme and that'll help you identify people; I'm assuming we're all competing.

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 05:42:16 pm »
Mea Culpa Paul.
I had forgotten how sensitive the Peak District is from a biking perspective but I was not aware that spectating is positively discouraged. What happens when/if Bamford Clough re-opens ?
What a difference from the West Country with the myriad of spectators on Crackington, Simms and Blue Hills.

Jen,
Just a thought.
I am marshalling on a special test called Middleton Moor which opens sometime early on the Saturday morning. Not sure of the actual time or location yet.
I will be driving a van with two friends' bikes who are competing and dropping them off at Tamworth before going on to the test.
If you are interested you are welcome to join me at Tamworth, we could put your bike in the van and go to Middleton Moor and you can get an idea of what the event is about and probably help out.
When the special test closes you are then welcome to head off in whatever direction takes your fancy or I could drop you off at the finish.
If you are interested email me on tonybishop190@btinternet.com or pm me.

Offline jenconnor

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 12:44:11 am »
Hello,

Many thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I was not thinking of following the whole event though I fully understand the need for caution in a sensitive area and will follow your advice.

Tony - it is likely I will be working in the day before the event so I could manage a late night but perhaps not an all-nighter, that is a very kind offer however and would give a good insight so if circumstances change I may contact you.

Much appreciated.
Jen

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 02:10:53 pm »
Liuda and I plus two friends and Roger and Caroline Will marshaling on Incline.
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 12:28:45 pm »
We re a bike friendly bunch on the Edinburgh so yes the fuel stops are reasonable distances apart the furthest is from the start to Bakewell which is about 63.3 miles apart the next one is a further 30 then another after 24 and the final one after another 40 miles..

restarts and long legs... not on the Edinburgh.. we ve deliberately set positions for bikes away from steep slopes and corners.. ;)