Author Topic: Should the MCC Pay for Marketing?  (Read 6331 times)

Ian Thompson

Should the MCC Pay for Marketing?
« on: June 22, 2018, 07:08:01 pm »
Deleted upon request

Offline Keith Johnston

• Club Members
  • Keith Johnston
Re: Should the MCC Pay for Marketing?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 05:01:32 pm »
Ian, we should recognise the sterling efforts of a number of MCC members who over the years have given up time and volunteered their services to support our marketing activity.....however....my feeling is that in the face of dwindling entries, MCC needs to undertake a major review of its offering in the light of societal and demographic changes and adopt a professional marketing strategy.

If this means paying for professional advice then so be it.

Keith

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 05:26:58 pm »
I'm old enough (only just) to remember trialling being shown on TV, Saturday afternoons I think it must have been. Back when the whole world was only shown in black and white.....no colour.

Some years ago (about fifteen), as a new MCC member I asked if it would be possible to get a TV company interested in some similar coverage. The answer I received surprised me - the club definitely didn't want TV publicity of any sort!

Maybe time to reconsider?
PW.

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 08:08:05 am »
..........At the time, the MCC was trying to cope with changing public attitudes [towards the sport]......and keeping a 'low profile' was seen as beneficial...the Club could continue doing what it had always done, without raising it's head above the parapet of controversy. 

In many ways, I agree with that policy...and think it is very valid today.

In this digital age, it is difficult to manage public perception......so many now have a voice.  Fact, & reality, no longer have a place.

I think the MCC can well do without the unwanted attention a higher public profile can attract.

As was recently pointed out to me........to the new generations that have been created [by which, I do not refer to age criteria]....the big question folk will ask of us is....''what's the point of trying to wreck such nice old machines?   That's what 4x4s are for...''

IMHO..we first have to create the ''enthusiast'' for things old & motoring.   

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 05:16:04 pm »
What about organising more events outside the south west corner.

Everytime I try to get people interested it ends in a big fat no when they find out that everythings practically Cornwall.

One chap I got talking to is now going to do the Edinburgh for the first time but won't be doing the other two.

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 06:23:09 pm »
There is nothing 'new' in this complaint.

I , myself, decided a long time ago [20 years or so] that the Lands End & Exeter trials were essentially too costly to 'do', for someone living where I do.

The Edinburgh was known to have a similar effect on those competitors living in the West country [the 'home' of classic trialling, perhaps?]

In some ways, coming home under the amber flashing lights meant a considerable financial saving!!!

We have at least 3 good Classic trials ..[maybe 4 or more if one counts the Clee?] north of roughly, Watford Gap!  Although we did sadly 'lose' the White Peaks event....of which I have a dubiously gained trophy....[any trophy acquired with a Skoda must be dubious?]

Let's face it...northern folk don't really understand why we have two spare wheels on the bootlid!

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 07:13:52 pm »
What about organising more events outside the south west corner.

Everytime I try to get people interested it ends in a big fat no when they find out that everythings practically Cornwall.
The Executive Committee would be pleased to consider more events outside the south west I'm sure. These events could bring in more members/marshals/observers and give the MCC an increased presence.  The stumbling block is finding people who are willing to take on the jobs of Clerk of the Course, Secretary of the event, Steward, Chief Marshal and Equipment Officer.  The volunteers who currently organise our three main trials are fully occupied so new people and with some experience would need to take on the task.

The MCC has a large database of marshals and observers that can be used for a new event, but we still need those key people to organise it.

Is there anyone prepared to organise a one-day Testing Trial north of Watford?  A one-day event on private land avoids an enormous amount of public relations work that needs to be done for the three main trials.  I have to admit and selfishly, it won't be me  :-[.  I don't have the time or experience, though, I'd willingly enter.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 08:00:28 pm »
My advice is firstly understand your objectives.

Is your objective to grow the club or to just increase membership? Because these are not the same.

The answer to either of these two questions is not simple and both will require additional work on behalf of the club.

If you just want to attract new members then a cunning marketing strategy may help in the short term. The existing events are a hard sell to anyone north of Birmingham. So your main catchment area for new members is limited to the south west area. You don't want to loose the club's identity so your objective would be to retain your existing events and freshen up with a few more smaller "day" events that will appeal to a wider audience. Some of these new members may then take on your main trials once knowledge of the events is gained. A marketing person may suggest collaborations with similar club's, running joint events and resource sharing. Even discounts for other clubs taking part in your events but they will have a portfolio of ideas for you regards this.

If you want to grow the club then you need to move out of the bottom corner. You don't need marketing for this, you need event organisers. I don't know what the club's appitite for this is but it's worth brainstorming some ideas. There are lots of off-road events going on up north and I think the club would do well to tap into that.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 03:46:15 pm »
Let's face it...northern folk don't really understand why we have two spare wheels on the bootlid!

But quite a few northern folk are triallers, too.
PW.

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 03:47:38 pm »
....bbbbbut...the MCC is the most common 'invited' club on {ACTC?} one-day CRTs, already.

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 03:51:05 pm »

But quite a few northern folk are triallers, too.

I'm not denying that.....but, as regular, club-level competitors, Classic Reliability Triallists in the north, are still very much a minority.  My experience is, most local clubs involved in motor sport  up here, have historically focused on rallies, etc...

Offline Barbara Selkirk

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 05:37:23 pm »
E Mail from Tim Kingham in reply tot eh NOTW post on arketimg
In my association with the MCC goes back to when the Exeter started from Heston services (date please...) and I have taken part on 2 ,3 and 4 wheels (mainly 2)  I have three ideas

The most memorable MCC events, (IMHO) were the High Speed Trials at Silverstone , in fact a chance conversation in the paddock while competing on my Vincent got me into the long distance trials to start with. The Silverstone events were terminated (I believe) because the joint running of car events and bike events were deemed unsafe, straw bales vs no straw bales, armco etc etc. However a simple examination of current events -Goodwood festival, the Flywheel festival, the test hill at Broklands, the Kop hill Climb et al shows that there are ways round this (I do the Kop hill climb every year its non competitive but great fun).

Historically speed events were part of the fabric of MCC at Silverstone and earlier Brooklands these events can be a money spinner (we would need help as a lot of our people expertise in this sort of event has gone to the great scrutinizer in the sky). One thing is clear in my mind it needs to be a joint car and bike event. The Silverstone event struggled along after.the cars went and turned into just another club meeting

My other suggestion is a rally type event in another land, events like the piston Rally, Moto giro and the Colombres are very popular and we do have foreign competitors in our events now so contacts exist

Finally what about another end to end?

Tim Kingham

Offline Barbara Selkirk

• Club Members
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 05:38:38 pm »
Amd a NOTW reply from John Bradshaw-
Sent: 21 June 2018 21:20
To: simon.woodall@themotorcyclingclub.org.uk
Subject: Re: The Future
1)         A event at Blue Hills Mine using the 2 sections as examples with members showing off what their car or bike can do on a MCC event but the rest of the site as a Motor Show with stands, bars, coffee shops, food, maybe even a band etc.
..............This one seems a good idea to my mind.  Different, with potentially a wider audience, but involving a bit of essential MCC activity......

John Bradshaw
www.jrbpub.net

Offline Barbara Selkirk

• Club Members
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 05:41:07 pm »
And 2 via NOTW from Richard Houlgate
Good morning all

Yes Barbara, you are welcome to use my email as you see fit.

I think the key to future success is to predict successfully what format the 3 main events should have in 5 and 10 years time. 
Then drive any change needed slowly but surely so that people are taken along the journey.
Easier said than done!
Marshals. The VSCC does quite a lot of work here and it might be worth liaising with them. And what do the speed event marshals do in the winter? I was privileged to be Hill Chief on Waterloo this year and most if not all of the marshals were experienced speed event people. Not a subject I know much about though.
=============================
Hi Barbara and Simon

You ask 2 questions in this weekís NOTW

1) Is it time to get some professional marketing help to move the MCC brand into something new?
2) Should we host a brand new event that is completely different motor sport event to attract new competitors?

I have some experience of this sort of thing as I used to be MD of small engineering businesses.

I found that it was no use trying to publicise something if the overall strategy was not crystal clear, in fact publicity could make matters worse.

So has the MCC defined clearly what it is offering to people, and determined if they want to buy it?

Currently MCC does
1.     3 overnight trials rough & tough
2.     3 overnight trials road run (Class R)
3.     1 scatter rally
4.     1 testing trial

1 is fine but the cars are getting older, sections rougher and entries are down. But VSCC makes a success of a similar day time format despite the cars being even older
2 may well be the way forward but has not Hero already done a similar thing with Le Jog?
3 sounds great and Iíve been meaning to enter, Iím surprised that entries are not higher. But VSCC struggle with rally entries
4 Is in the middle of the Hill Climb and sprint season so I donít have time and Iím not sure how it fits with 1, 2 and 3 above. Sounds great fun though.

There does seem to be some coherence in the above offering, but is it what people want?

What MCC really needs is a good strategy consultant to examine this by assessing future market possibilities and finding out not only what people want, but what they may want in the future. As you are no doubt aware just asking what people want will only confirm the status quo, if you had asked people 10 years ago would they have wanted one of those ghastly SUV things they would have said no but now they are all rushing to buy them and Porsche have changed from sports car makers (911) to panzer manufacturers (Cayenne)!

I would be very cautious of your 2nd suggestion as it seems to me like New Product New Market which always has to be treated with caution see https://businesscasestudies.co.uk/experian/entering-a-new-market-with-a-new-product/diversification.html  ďDiversification stands apart from the other strategies. It involves the greatest risk of all strategies.Ē

But maybe MCC has already examined this?

I hope you find this helpful. I am willing to help as best I can but strategy is not my field, neither am I entrepreneurial as Iím very good at thinking of reasons why things wonít work! Happy to sit down over a beer and talk things through if need be.

Best regards

Richard Houlgate

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 07:23:45 am »
To Paraphrase..'' nobody ever lay on thier death bed and said '' we should have spent more on consultants''

these are my own personal thoughts and in no way represent the event with which i am involved

three words are the easy and practical answer to sustaining membership and participation.. research, social media.

some motorclubs and other liesure activities have both increased membership and participation and the way forward is to understand why.

Relying on what has worked for 117 years is not the solution. attending car shows handing out leaflets etc although worthy, sociable and a pleasant way to spend a day are not the membership/partcipation drivers we d hope for.

I came to the mcc via one simple thing. Social media. Specifically Micheal Leetes excellent classical gas site and then the classic trials forum on facebook. The simple links to youtube of micheals exploits in class O showed clearly without hype or sales pitch how accesable the mcc big three were to an absolute beginner with no previous link to the sport and from an area of the country with no trials history.

The club needs a vibrant facebook prescence RIGHT NOW.

it needs  public and private facebook pages ( like the ford sidevalve owners club) RIGHT NOW

once we have the acces to the rest of the world via the above as a minimum we need to seriously stand back and review what it is we do.

Classic trials.. simply the big three

here we have history and no little status on our side by the absoulte wagon load, however with it comes baggage.

too often i hear the same arguments for not entering either of the BIG Three..

cost.     Its £59 quid to enter plus insurance plus membership. and there in is a sticking point. the 59 quid is good value the insurance equally so, however 35 quid membership is good value for a year but i cant sell an entry to the edinburgh to a new member on a years membership as you only get a couple of months for your money... a big penalty to pay for one trial.

format. one of the reason the trials have endured is the uniqe running through the night. i am a big fan and it is what makes mcc trials special to me. however its also a flipping big barrier to many potential members/partcipants. Class O has been a tremendous success class R is been given an opportunity.Should we consider adding a class that only completes the daylight part of the trial? for example in the Edinburgh we could run the Derbyshire class starting at breakfast time and running on behind the trial until the finish. ( i have 6 members of my pre 65 trials club who would enter that class tomorrow if it were to run.)

class structure. keep it simple,make it simple. last year at the edininbrgh i think we had one class 1  (front wheel drive) entrant.. there are 30,000,000 front wheel drive cars in the uk and we had ONE enter!!!! lets give em a break set them an appropriate challenge. similarly i think we had literally a handful of class two entrants and yet the vscc derbyshire in the same area using many of 'our' sections has close to one hundred.

MCC trials were originally for standard motorcycles and eventually cars. sections became stiffer and so did preperation levels of cars. May's pre war Wheelspin outlines this development in the 193o's so modern class 7 and 8 cannot be held entirely responsible. if ordinary cars can be entered more will be, perhaps in class R we should allow 4wd saloons? perhaps we should chase bargain basement entries with a class 1 for 1ooo cc cars? perhaps we can overcome the loss of many lanes and tracks such as putwell and Bamford by adding pct type sections for these and class O/R competitors. We have to think the unthinkable and act upon it From new bllood will come the next organisers.

officials
we rely very heavily on the goodwill of many mainly older members but also on an army of non members friends and families to stand at thier post for 8 hours in all weathers and to stand there for FREE with no reward whatsover other than doing thier bit.. We have members travelling hundreds of miles to simply tick a box to say you were on time leaving there. There MUSt be some reward for these stalwarts.

these comments may have some greybeards twitching and rightly so but today is 21o8  and times and the sport have to move forward .. when you sat at the start line of Blue hills for the first time what did you do? ....my reference point is always the story of Lt. Frederick Young who fought against the Gurkhas when the British invaded Nepal with a force of Indians. He was captured as the Indians fled the battle and was asked why he too had not fled, he replied '' I didnt come this far just to run away''

(paid consultants are not the answer)