Author Topic: Enfield Bullets in Class A  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
Enfield Bullets in Class A
« on: June 09, 2018, 08:35:03 am »
Chaps, I read that the Enfield Bullets are allowed in Class A. Is this all models including the latest EFI engined models?

I'm in the middle of a side valve Ariel project for Class A but it's not going to be ready in time for the Exeter. So rather than using the Honda was still thinking of buying an Enfield and entering that until I get it done.

Don't want to buy something that's not eligible. Cheers

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: Enfield Bullets in Class A
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 03:35:41 pm »
Chaps, I read that the Enfield Bullets are allowed in Class A. Is this all models including the latest EFI engined models?
The SSR state 'CLASS A. Single or Multi Cylinder Solo Motorcycles manufactured before 1.1.1970, (Engine and Frame) and Enfield Bullets manufactured in India.'

There's no reference for the Indian Bullets to carburettors, or fuel injection so I read that as a yes, they are allowed.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:28:11 pm »
This might cause some future controversy. The later EFI engined bikes are unit construction with fuel injection, electric start and electronic ignition. Even the frame is different to the original bullet. Its no different than a modern bike in that respect. Makes you think if they had called this new Hymalaya model "Bullet" would that have been eligible?

Going to stick with the classic engine model, just incase the rules get changed.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 08:25:53 am »
The club rules aren't always logical.

I own an original 'FB' AJS Stormer 250 Enduro. This is arguably a true British Classic because it's the only Silver Jubilee bike they ever made (certified in writing and in person by the late Fluff Brown, of FB AJS).

This bike isn't eligible for Class A by the MCC because it was produced in 1977 and "too new". However, it's over 40 years old so DVLA/VOSA recognise it as a "Historic Vehicle" and it doesn't need vehicle tax or an MOT test.

But my 2004 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet (grey import, Indian home market model) is classed as a "British Classic" bike....
PW.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 06:20:12 pm »
The new EFI models don't resemble the Redich bullets at all. The classic engined ones do. Seams strange that you can buy a brand new bike, disk brake and all and enter it in class A. Guess the minute someone wins with one the rules will change. hence is why I'm staying clear of those. Love to have one but not risking investing time and money just in case.

By the way the 2016 SSR's say nothing about a bike being British for class A. Just got to be manufactured pre1970.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 08:04:36 am »
By the way the 2016 SSR's say nothing about a bike being British for class A. Just got to be manufactured pre1970.
I imagine this definition was influenced by the ACU requirements for trials, though, there are a variety of classes for a variety of trials in their handbook based on suspension type, rider age, etc. As an example, the ACU Sammy Miller Trial Championship has classes for pre-unit rigids, pre-65, British pre-70 pre-unit/unit/2-stroke, twinshocks, drum brakes, etc. If someone knows the background to the MCC SSR on this point, perhaps, they could advise  ???.

The club rules aren't always logical.
But they can be explained and changed.  The request can be placed on the agenda of an Executive Committee meeting, or the AGM.  Send the Secretary an email and he'll place it on the agenda  :).

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 06:00:18 pm »
But they can be explained and changed.  The request can be placed on the agenda of an Executive Committee meeting, or the AGM.  Send the Secretary an email and he'll place it on the agenda  :).

Thanks, but it's a "one off" bike (originally built as a show bike for the FB AJS stand at the 1977 Avon dirt bike show) and will eventually be restored to as new condition, or as close as I can get it.

I don't actually have plans to use it for MCC trials; I was merely using it as an example of the anomaly with the rules for Class A  ;) .
PW.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 06:19:27 pm »
I think the written description of Class A should be on the agenda of the AGM anyway, even if it's just to agree to make it read the same in both the SSR and the blue club rule book. Because that's pretty confusing for a newbie. I had to ask which one was right when I first joined the club.

I personally think that allowing the 40 year old bikes in class A will see the end of the vintage bike's. Isn't that like saying let's scrap Class 2 and Chuck all those old cars in one class with any 70's car? And my X90 has a ladder frame chassis and rear drum brakes like an Austin 7 so I could enter that in here too.

Sorry, don't mean to facetious but I really do enjoy seeing those 50's bikes out, don't want them to stop turning out.

Maybe a new Class for these 40 year old bikes and include the fuel injection disk brake bullets?

Did the "let's make a special class for c90's" go away? Haven't heard anyone mention that for a while.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 08:42:17 pm »
Hahahaha I've never been quoted so much in my life. ;D

Your dead right about them being hard work and that's part of the challenge. And this is why they shouldn't get lumped in with all the later modern bikes. What chance would they have against the late 70's trail bikes. This 40 year thing is rolling too so in a few years you will be getting monoshock bikes in that group as well.

Is it time for a shuffle and create a genuine pre65 class?

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 08:52:52 pm »
Maybe you should. Here's an AJS prepared earlier: https://www.mortonsarchive.com/?Action=VF&id=5793850002&ppwd=kr%7C32504nbw%7C94058bgp

Once it's been polished as it originally was, it will remain a show bike! I visited the AJS factory some years ago shortly after buying the bike and taking the engine and gearbox to them for a rebuild. Fluff Brown introduced me to the chap who actually built it for the show. He told me that polishing the alloy was a three week job and he definitely never wanted to do it again.

If I'm ever silly/brave enough in future to compete in an MCC trial on a bike I might use the Royal Enfield instead - but the Liege still remains hot favourite.
PW.

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 02:21:45 pm »
An easy simplification engage the 40 year rule and and allow any bikes that old into class A
bikes that look like old bikes are not old bikes
I should be torn between finishing my 58 triumph greaves  or finding another SP370 to restore...

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 03:01:46 pm »
Nnnnnnooooooooooo. Just leave Class A alone. It's for genuine old pre1970 bikes. And Enfield bullets.

If you want a class for post 1970 classics, pertition the club at the AGM and start a new class for these bikes.

This post was originally posted asking the question, are the brand new bullets Class A compliant and if so, why.

Since starting this post I have in principle agreed to buy a 1967 bullet. Just got to pay for it now  ???