Author Topic: Position of Numbers  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Arron Homewood

• Club Members
Position of Numbers
« on: September 28, 2017, 09:46:59 am »
Good Morning.

Can anyone enlighten me on position of numbers for the Ed Trial.

On a recent Trial we had to move the rear number from the window to a number board by the rear number plate. I made up a plastic holder and it works well.

From reading the weekly emailed newsletter, do we now need to do this for the front as well?

Or am I just reading things wrongly again.

Thank you for your help.

Regards Arron

Offline Lee Sample

• Club Members
Re: Position of Numbers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 11:18:00 am »
I have read it as - no numbers in windows.  so yes, I am taking it as the front too.

in the past, i got around this by laminating the numbers and sticking them ON the rear window, as if it is stuck ON a surface, surely the surfaces material is irrelevant.  it did seem to irk the scrutineer a little though, so i have changed it since to being mounted on a lit board next to the number plate.

on the front of the ranger i am a little stuck for near vertical surfaces that are not glass, and are viable places for numbers.  so this year, i will be affixing it to the bumper, adjacent to the sidelight, laminated to keep it dry and legible.  Hopefully this will be acceptable....

Lee

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 05:29:11 pm »
I was going to stick my rear number to the rear face of the boot lid. That's pretty vertical on my x90. front one was going on the inside of the front windscreen.

To save us all getting told off at scrutineering, can someone from the club please advise before we set off tomorrow.
thanks
JP

Offline Arron Homewood

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 06:46:09 pm »
Lee and JP, thanks for your replies.

I found a bit of scrap perspex in the shed so I have made one for the front.

I have marshaled a couple of times and I found that having the number on the front window screen was easy to find. I think we are all drawn to the driver...if only to see where she/he is looking in case they are not paying attention and about to run us over!

Having it on the very front requires you to 'look' for it.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks Arron

Offline Myke Pocock

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:34:34 pm »
Whilst appreciating that a near vertical panel is seldom available on all vehicles front and back, it is not beyond the ability of time or money to make holders for numbers that are vertical for front and back. Once its done, its done. This requirement has been around for as long as I have been trialling, ie; 2003 and most likely years before. Just remember that, especially in the dark, marshals need at times to be able to see the numbers and also that they are there for you to be able to enjoy your sport. Lets make it easy for them please ALL!!! (Arron, this is to all, not just you!!!)

Offline Arron Homewood

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 09:40:23 am »
Myke

Thanks for the reply.

Fair point.

See you in the hills.

The Allard is not back from the Tour des Cols...so we are in the Skoda...just to give you a challenge.

Regards Arron

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 10:37:38 pm »
If you stick your number to the inside of the windscreen then three things may happen.

1. The reflection makes the number difficult to read.

2. You will probably get the marshal shine a torch in your eyes trying to read the number as your face will be near behind it.

3. You will get reduced visability from the number and category sticker.

Also the Category sticker really needs to be next to the competition number for start and restart recognition.

Far better a plate near the number plate... (Maybe this should be standardised?).

Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 09:40:24 pm »
Hi Stephen,
You missed out item Number 4  When you stick it to the window it comes off when you take the window down ! Have you got doors on that car of yours ?
See you on the event we are running close to you.
Jonathan L.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 04:52:31 pm »
Speaking from the point of view of a simple marshal/observer; if we can't see your number (it does happen, especially in the dark, so it's obviously better if it's lit) your attempt at a section might get missed off the sheet altogether, as if you weren't even there.

Your number is really all we have to go on; we have otherwise no idea of who you were, especially when vehicles arrive out of sequence, as is often the case.

The front number is often "hidden" behind the dazzle from headlights so the rear number is especially important. Hopefully the extra side numbers will help. 
PW.

Offline dave malin

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 10:28:48 pm »
Afer the Lands End it was general concessous of organisers and marshals that the side numbers were a good idea and worked well.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 07:57:54 pm »
Hi Stephen,
You missed out item Number 4  When you stick it to the window it comes off when you take the window down ! Have you got doors on that car of yours ?
See you on the event we are running close to you.

Hi Jonathan.

I have side screens that take out... :-)

Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 07:59:29 pm »
Oh And my post was about the Front and back numbers.....

Side numbers on my car would soon be mud coloured almost anywhere on the side...  :-)