Author Topic: MCC Scatter navigation Rally 2018  (Read 5478 times)

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
MCC Scatter navigation Rally 2018
« on: April 24, 2018, 12:56:05 am »
One aspect of organising a Scatter navigation rally involves finding Control locations. These must meet specific criteria, not least having a safe place to park and a clue to be answered. Each year we offer 80 different control locations for competitors to choose from. Not having the same clues or locations as previous events is another consideration. Currently we are out and about choosing these locations. A car park upon a main road would appear easy to access. Finding the signage near a river ford or the notice upon a Wildlife observation hide, down a track, might be more challenging.
Four years ago, I included some roads with broken surfaces to make MCC members feel at home. This year we have not had to look for these, as many B roads and white roads have lacked regular repair work. As for river fords, Somerset has a lot and there are six which might be encountered, most being water splashes. Finding roads that are likely to be traffic free in the height of the summer requires local knowledge. This inevitably means “off the beaten track”. With this comes open roads and beautiful countryside.  Competitors are advised in advance of the type of road conditions within an area, so when they are planning their own route, they have this advance notice. The recceing is done in a Renault Meganne fitted with low profile tyres. This ensure that the event, although tough in places, can be completed by the average vehicle.
What makes the MCC Scatter Navigation Rally different to others is the fact that all control locations are supplied before the event. This allows competitors to plan their route before they start and then enjoy the drive/ride. Also, the number of controls are numerous, giving a wide choice and differing event experience. Competitors compete against the Club as with our Trials. Lastly you have a choice of competing during the night, the day or both. The event has a very loyal following with the majority returning each year. Total numbers are low, but the word is getting around. Online entries are now open.
Jonathan L.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: MCC Scatter navigation Rally 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 12:51:37 pm »
Competitors compete against the Club as with our Trials.

I thought I was competing against Trevor Gibb and his Yamaha Serow 225 cc, which seemed to be everywhere before I was, or I didn't even get there  ??? .  What's the secret?

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 02:58:29 pm »
Maybe there's more than one of him?  ;D
PW.

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 09:30:18 pm »
Both his map and his bike are up the right way all the time ?
Jonathan L.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 10:59:56 pm »
My bike was only been horizontal a couple of times  ::) ; it's not as if it'd been upside down  ???

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 08:50:37 pm »
Navigators are hard to find !   
I have received a request from a longstanding trialist who wishes to navigate upon the Day section of this year`s Scatter navigation Rally. So if you were thinking of having a go but worried about finding you way around, contact me at somersetscatter@gmail.com  I will then put you both in contact. Hurry as entries are about to close.
Jonathan L.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 11:48:26 pm »
"The event, although tough in places, can be completed by the average vehicle."

Yep.... I competed last year on a Harley Davidson 883.
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline AlanM

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 09:28:32 am »
Has anyone else received their scatter 2018 route locations yet? I know how long the route planning takes and I'm nervous that mine's got lost in the post!

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 11:07:57 am »
I don't want to see you panic  :o, but I've received mine in the post this morning.

I see you're in the Marlin.  There's only 17 of us hardy (crazy) individuals doing the night and day stages.

Offline AlanM

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 06:08:06 pm »
Typical. The time I finally panic is the day it arrives in the post!

I just wish there were more entries. The event certainly deserves it.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 11:12:58 pm »
The time I finally panic is the day it arrives in the post!
Then you must have one hell of a navigator  :o

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 10:25:13 pm »
Update for 2018 Scatter
Night time Car Park start. Those of you who have done the Scatter before may have started from the Commercial vehicle parking at Taunton Dean Services, West bound. This year we will be using an area within the Car / General public parking area, of the same services and it will be marked. The operators of the service area have asked that no work is to be undertaken upon your vehicles while there. There is a limit of 2 hrs parking with heavy charges for exceeding. If you are going to be anywhere near close to two hours – it is your responsibility to contact the W.H. Smiths. outlet and talk your way out of it. There is a new service area manager in place who is helpful to us but following all the rules.
Daytime starters – do not forget you can have breakfast at the start so arrive early. We have allowed latitude of your start time up to 9.30 am. You are to be timed out and thus have a later return time should you wish an extra coffee.
Jonathan L.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 04:12:31 pm »
Well, I've got my 30 locations for the night part and 30 for the day part.  I just hope I've got the most effective routes for maximum points because it's just about done my head in  :'(.  At least I've avoided going through the ford at Knowle Lane (more by luck than a conscious effort to avoid it); no way I want to come a cropper in that again  :(.

Just got the route to print out, sandwiches to make, water to load, boots to clean, visor to scrape flies off, etc ..........

Everything running smoothly for everyone else  ::)?

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 06:26:34 pm »
Couldn't believe it!  I'm about to ride the bike down to the garage and fill-up with fuel and the starter solenoid clacks away; flat battery  :( . I decided not to chance just recharging it because I don't know how good the battery; it's been on there a while, so better to assume it's on the way out.  My W650 relies on the battery for powering the ignition circuit; no separate alternator coils, etc.  The last thing I need is to conk out on Exmoor in the night.

A quick phone around and I picked one up from the local bike dealer for £78.99. Can't be helped; pay up and look big.

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 05:42:44 pm »
The Scatter started off from the M5 Taunton services at midnight upon Friday. The night run was in the main, dry, though the beautiful red sunrise was not to be. Some competitors found the challenge met their skills and expectations, with the majority enjoying driving around the empty roads over Exmoor. Breakfast at The Allerford Inn Taunton, was followed by the daytime Scatter. Despite the controls taking competitors away from the general traffic, this year’s event covered a wider area. This proved that the choice of controls was important. We lost a few competitors due to breakdowns and punctures. All competitors came in saying how much they enjoyed the event which was the intention. The only accident to report involved the scrutineer Neil Vile who was covered in beer by myself but still said he would return next year. The day finished with a communal meal in the evening.  I am not able to quote exactly  Nick Farmer`s comment when he arrived at the finish, but the sentiments expressed upon Facebook can be produced here –
“Great job by Jon Laver on the MCC scatter, had an absolute great night driving some great roads (not that we had time for sight seeing!!)”
If you are into demographics, an equal number of competitors chose to do just the day time event as chose to do just the night run. The youngest upon the event was in their teens and the eldest in their 80`s (not me). As for vehicles the oldest was from the 1930`s right up to modern day machinery. We will be working upon the results which should be completed within the week.
Jonathan L.