Author Topic: Lands End 2018  (Read 1918 times)

Offline richardtappin

• Club Members
Lands End 2018
« on: April 01, 2018, 12:17:58 pm »
Special thanks to all the Marshalls who stood out in the freezing conditions and to the organisers for a great event

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
Re: Lands End 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 08:26:33 pm »
You're welcome; I was one of the many, helping Roger Ashby's team on Hackmarsh. I have probably been colder (not wetter) but it was 36 years ago, during an RAF winter aircrew survival course in the snowy South German mountains.

Perverse as it might seem, we mutually agreed that we were rather grateful to those who needed a push (or some help with picking up their bikes),  for helping us get moving and keep slightly warmer!

Despite the cold, everyone seemed in good spirits. I spectated at Blue Hills later - how good it was to see everyone there smiling, laughing, cheering and clapping. There were a lot of passers by who were interested to stay and join in the fun. Possibly the best type of advertising the club could have.
PW.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 07:14:33 am »
I have a lot of respect for marshals; they have to stand about, getting chilled to the bone on occasion.  At least on the bike, you keep active, riding the thing. This year I experienced at least 12 hours of relentless rain, flooded roads, snow on the moor, slush, fog and cold winds.  I think there's a high number of 'did not finish' this year.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 11:35:11 am »
I think so, too. I was originally informed that our section (Hackmarsh) was scheduled to close at 0930. The course closing car arrived at around 0815 and there had been a delay due to one car needing a wheel change on the section before we could get it shifted.
PW.

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 07:30:37 pm »
We were running No 200 and ended up at the back of the field with many competitors behind us retiring. Thanking marshals for waiting so long in the bad weather conditions was the least one could do as "tail end Charlie". I was really taken back by the reply from two different individuals who expressed concern for us realising that we had also been out a long time. This must be one definition of empathy ! Thanks to all the guys and girls who made it possible.
Jonathan L.

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 06:17:40 am »
Special thanks to all the Marshalls who stood out in the freezing conditions and to the organisers for a great event

Definitely.

Myself, Jason Potts and Big Rich on his Bantam were riders in class O; it seemed an ordeal at the time especially from Porlock to South Molton rbt - zero visibility, wet to the skin from the waist down, following a wriggling trail of catseyes in the fog. Snow, slush, an overturned people carrier?, black pools of water in the blackness, obliterated by the white snow, the mist and the relentless rain; so we ran into the pools blindly and one was deep enough to swamp my colleagues bikes - I could see sparks tracking up and down the outside of Rich's Bantam sparkplug! In my fogged visibility (and mind) I had missed the restart line at Barton Steep and must have stopped short so that was one down.

Still, we kept going, and warmed up a bit at Wickett's (who have a coffee machine and some snacks nowadays in a smart little seating area) in Bradworthy, wringing out gloves etc - with Sutcombe off limits what happened to all the cakes and bacon? Maybe the good ladies of Sutcombe could upsticks to Bradworthy village hall and provide tea and cake to all....

Then a chilly dash to Wilsey where the poor noise test team looked to be losing the will to live - fair play for sticking to their allotted task. After breakfast it was a cold restart to Ruses and over Minions (always a joy to traverse) to Laneskin and those greasy, queasy, cheesy, beastly, "Beasley Street" (apologies John Cooper Clarke - but I've always wanted to use that combination of words) sections though - Rich even cleaned it on his Bantam. Wonderful.

And so we welcomed the sun, fouled up Bishop's Wood (start away in third? my Suzy romped up the hill but I'm not that skilled or fit enough to negotiate deep ruts at 25 mph!) and enjoyed the Hustyn's even going past the cars (having trouble there) and cleaning another greasy...etc section.

Then down to Perranporth, and Blue Hills. For me there is no other option bar BH2 and my bikes wear the badge with pride! Knowing what was to come I got up cleanly and stopped appropriately but the others had Blue Hills Red mist and either didn't stop at the section ends or in the case of Rich's Bantam just Blue-Hills-2-stroke-Blue-Smoke!! And some paddling.

Then on along the cliffs to Hayle - now into the teeth of a gale at times - what more weather will we get? - to the finish, a beer and finishers' certificates for us all. Which I left on the table in the bar. Can we get another please?

We'll talk about this one for a long while yet!

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
  • ring ting ting ting....
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 07:26:43 pm »
what can I say other than

.........THAT WAS FRECKIN AWESOME....  ;D

froze my nutsack off all night and that rain was a proper 10 hour deluge.  :o

didn't get any warmer when it stopped either. it was good to see tourists enjoying the spectacle on BH2 and I climbed up all the way without putting a foot down.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I thought id make a tit of myself with people watching and very much expected to be going viral on youtube that night as I spectacularly fail at it. but no, I was very pleased with that, just a shame about forgetting to stop at the top. Rick did mention it but I thought it was further up so I sailed straight through.  :-[  to busy looking at the burger van probably...

it was good to see some familiar faces again along the way, shame we didn't get much time to have a good catch up. we did managed to have some banter with 'Jonny Lave' at the start. Glad he got to the end OK.

Big thanks to the Marshals etc, especially those guys who picked me up off the deck '3 times' on Laneskin Wood. I was plastered in mud at the top, I just could not get up that for some reason....  ::) lack of ability is my guess.  ;D

a real big thanks to Rick H though who's help, advice and coaching again was invaluable. even the ride back to Exeter was enjoyable, thanks again mate.

met a new friend this time too, Big Rich with his Bantam. hopefully see him out next time too. enjoyed the beers at the finish Rich and thanks for breakfast mate.

Ps. we found some Eastern European lads just down the road from the finish that jet washed both mine and Rick's bike for 3. result.   ;)

with not riding a bike for over a year I totally forgot how enjoyable it is to have a ride round with your mates. cheers guys I really enjoyed my first Lands End  8)

Next time, Main Trial Class A....  ;)

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 12:38:01 pm »
If you managed to get a Finisher's Certificate, you've done well. Take a look at the percentage of finishers for each class.  Needless to say, the attrition rate was highest on the bikes.  But 39 competitors did not start; that's 14%  :( .

ClassEntrantsStartersFinishersPercentage finishers
A to D bikes 92 77 43 47%
1-8 cars 120 104 80 67%
Main trial sub-total 212 181 123 58%
O bikes 22 1813 59%
O cars 34332882%
Class O sub-total 56514173%
R bikes 2100%
R cars 86563%
Class R sub-total 107550%
Overall total 27823916961%

It'd be interesting to know what the most common cause of failing to start was.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 04:31:51 pm »
Hypothermia?  :'(
PW.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 09:08:29 am »
Hypothermia for the did-not-finishers, but what about the did-not-starters?  For the did-not-starters, I know one of the outfits had a sick driver; another outfit had fuelling problems; and one of the cars had a wiper motor pack up.  I wonder what happened to the rest?

Online David White (tufty)

• Administrator
  • getting away with it so far
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 01:43:24 pm »
I think for some motorcyclists, getting caught in the rain and cold is just one of those things, however, setting out in pouring rain you really have to be committed (or should be).

I come somewhere between the two camps.  Got soaked getting to the start, then again getting to Bridgwater, where I retired gracelessly to a cheap hotel up the motorway.

I'm not proud of myself, but I did think I wasn't really enjoying it and could only envisage it getting worse.

Still, there's the next one to look forward to...

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 03:55:46 pm »
I think it's a lot to do with your mind's will power.  Get your head in the right place and you can overcome physical challenges that you might not otherwise do.  Just look at circumstances where women, who were physically weaker than their male compatriots, surpassed the performance of the men.

Having said that, I must admit to saying on this Lands End that if I got a puncture, I might well call it a day and retire.  The thought of changing a tube in those conditions was horrifying  :'( .  The one thing I did have in my head was that the weather forecasters reckoned the rain would stop by 10:00 am so I had to put up with the rain till the morning.  As it turned out, the situation was better than that; the rain stopped between 06:00 and 07:00 hrs.  A result  ;D !

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
  • ring ting ting ting....
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 06:14:03 am »
I did take a spare front tube but me and Rick have taken to carrying cans of that tyre weld stuff you just squirt in through the valve. You couldn't have changed a tyre on the top of Exmoor. It was too cold for your hands to work properly.