Author Topic: Class 1 Cars  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Alan Cundy

• Club Members
Class 1 Cars
« on: January 10, 2018, 11:11:30 am »
It would appear some people do not understand the difference between an LSD differential and a Torque Biasing unit. The LSD has clutch plates operated by cams which clamp the plates and gear wheels making the unit lock on both wheels. The TB unit does not operate in this way, it has helical gears working in pockets which senses when one wheel spins faster than the other and transfers the torque (power) to the wheel which has better grip. It is constantly sensing the torque and constantly adjusting which wheel has the better grip, it does not lock both wheels as happens with the LSD, as for turning on sharp turns it works as a conventional diff unit.
It is also interesting to note that the TB unit will pass the diff tests that are currently used.
As for Class 1 cars it gives the driver more confidence to use the engine power without smashing the diff and gearbox casings which can be very expensive to replace. So if you are considering using a Class 1 car using a TB is now allowed and one manufacturer gives a life time warranty which is confidence in the product.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: Class 1 Cars
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:14:59 pm »
Do you mean something like this?  I'm still trying to get my head round it  :o

Any suggestions on which cars that are eligible for class 1 have this fitted?

Offline Alan Cundy

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 09:20:39 am »
Yes this is a Torque Biasing unit, note no clutch plates are present. These units are readily available for most cars not only class1 vehicles. The only car I am aware of with such a unit fitted as standard is the Ford Focus ST.

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 11:37:04 am »
Audi also use this kind of differential as the centre diff on their Four wheel Drive models - They call it a Torsen Diff

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 11:15:14 pm »
But no 4WD allowed in an MCC trial.  I was hoping more of something in the Ford, Peugeot, or Citroen model range for class 4.

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 10:12:49 pm »
A slight problem with that one....I may be wrong, but I am not aware of either Ford, Peugeot or Citroen ever manufacturing a  rear engined, RWD car under 1300cc?  That's class 4 for you! :-[

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 08:32:21 am »
not aware of either Ford, Peugeot or Citroen ever manufacturing a  rear engined, RWD car under 1300cc?  That's class 4 for you! :-[
Whoops!  keyboard trouble and possibly a slip in the grey matter  :-\ . It was information on the front wheel drive models I was after; just wondering if some FWD in their model ranges ever had a torque biasing diff installed.