Author Topic: Exeter 2018  (Read 6102 times)

Offline Lee Sample

• Club Members
Exeter 2018
« on: January 08, 2018, 12:18:58 pm »
Great Trial this year, with a couple of niggles, but otherwise fully enjoyed it!

Thestart at Popham seemed to be running OK, but we were at the back of the field, so things were mostly clear when we got there. the first observed test was as expected - straightforward, and then onto redscrip as classic canes had been cancelled due to logging. This and Underdown went without a hitch, and then onto my first fail from last time - Norman Hump.  To my amazement I got out clean, and then into Clinton - another previous fail. we cleaned that, and all of the others up to crealy.
I thought the breakfast at Crealy was ok, but because of the queues at previous sections, we were running about an hour behind, and breakfast was nearly finished, so it felt a bit rushed.

section 8 - kingswell - went fine, but we dont remember seeing a section ends board before the queue for section 9, so were a bit surprised as we stopped at the back of the queue.  again, another wait as we were using that start as a holding control for Tillerton.  Failed the restart at Tillerton, and made our way to fingle hill.  I love this section, and this time decided to try trickling up rather than firing myself at the scenery!  that worked really well, and i'll definitely be doing that in future :-)

woosten steep was another that i had failed last time, and with help from the cheering of both claire and keith Oakes, we got out, shouting and hollering as we went!

the queue for Simms took the shine off the trial a bit for me - about two hours in all, but the marshals seemed to be doing a sterling job.  we got as far as the red restart box, but then the tyres spun up as we slid into a rut, and that was the end of our attempt.  shame really, as it felt great to that point.  next time.......

at this point, there is only Tipley and Slippery Sam to go.  I was confident of slippery sam, but tipley was a previous fail, so my medal hopes were looking bleak....  To our amazement, we managed to get away well, and trickled it up the section, until a puncture meant just planting my foot and keeping the momentum going - we made it!  just. and changed the tyre at the top.

just slippery sam to go, and Matt was at the top waiting to congratulate us on a great climb, and a claimed bronze - my best achievement to date!

Thanks to the organisers, marshals, and everyone else involved for a great weekends trialling - it definitely ranks up there as the best i have had the pleasure in taking part in.  but then i am wearing my bronze tinted specs at the moment ;-)

Offline Toby Galbraith

• Club Members
Re: Exeter 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 01:32:20 pm »
We had lots of fun too (#204, X90 from Popham). I was a passenger/navigator on the Lands End and Edinburgh 2017, but hadn't driven before, and never done the Exeter. My passenger had never done an LDT before but was up for the challenge.

Was in long/slow queues at Norman's Hump, and later on at Kingswell/Tillerton, Simms and Tipley so we didn't get to the finish until after 1900 - about 3 hours later than scheduled. We failed Norman's Hump and Waterloo, which I probably could have done better, and later on failed Tillerton, Simms, Tipley and Slippery Sam, which I felt were impossible but some X90s probably got up. At least we did clean Passaford Lane (our only restart in Class 5), and I absolutely loved Fingle, drifting round the hairpins. My aim before the trial was to clean more than we failed, so in that respect we succeeded (9/15 clean), although I do want another go to see if we can do better next time!

Offline Bryan Marsh

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 10:39:22 pm »
Great fun as ever, if a little treacherous on the early morning ice on a bike - I fell off on the steep hill down to Tillerton Steep but thankfully no damage to man or machine. Failed several sections as usual but got up quite a few as well. The only minor complaint I would have was the unimaginative menu at Haynes - didn't really want full breakfast both there and at Crealy - I'm sure last year they had pasties.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 07:08:58 pm »
I had an elderly gentleman making a point as I rode up one of the sections, Fingle, or Tipley; can't remember for sure.  No way was he going to get out of the way and let us reprobates have some fun; he had right of way  ;D  ;D .  Fortunately there was enough room to pass by on his right side, but he didn't slacken his pace.  As far as he was concerned I was not there; and if I was there, I had no right to be.

The two marshals behind him were pxxxing themselves.

Kingswell 2 put the wind up me; the thought of falling off in that slurry concentrated the mind for sure  :( .  A good trial in spite of the ice.

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 08:58:18 pm »
At very short notice I passengered/navigated for Jason Potts in his X-90 in class O; my scepticism of the "Barbie wheels" evaporated after a couple of sections, and in the end a very comfortable (in every respect) trial with hardly any issue - Jason drove down from Stoke to Haynes, did the trial, then drove back to Stoke in the little Suzuki. You've got to hand it to both the driver and the vehicle.

Hopefully helped bag a copper for Jason (his first ever trial was the Exeter last year) as we didn't quite make the top of Donkey Trot.

I was equally impressed by the hardy marshals standing about in the cold all night and the 2 wheel fraternity who had a tough time of it after breakfast. Well done to all.

RH

Offline Jonathan Laver

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 01:23:09 am »
It was a very good effort by both Jason and Rick. A Tin first time out might have appeared it is easy on 4 wheels !  Is this a team we are going to see out upon the Lands End ?
Jonathan L.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 04:11:38 pm »
Hey Jon, howís things. Easy on 4 wheels, I would say not. Easy in an X90, definitelyÖÖ

I drove that one of mine from Stoke, down the M6, then down the M5 to Bridgewater not really dropping below 65mph (mostly doing 70mph). Picked up Rick at the train station and then drove it to the start at Sparkford (another hour). So that was 4 hours to the start in total. We then did the trial (didnít even thrash it and it climbed all but one hill). I then drove it from Torquay back to stoke (4 hours, all motorway) no stopping. The car never missed a beat and never once got hot or suffered any mechanical breakdowns. At one point we were so warm on Saturday morning we had to roll down the windows just to cool off. The car did a combined average of 38mpg and we were chatting and laughing all the way round. I even took my record collection on a memory stick but we were having such a good time we never switched the radio on. Iím still kicking myself now regards Donkey Trot, the section end board was within grabbing distance. If Iíd given it a bit more gusto at the bottom we could have cleared that last tree root. Bugger.

The copper medal is not really down to my ability, itís just down to that car. X90ís are just so good at these events.

I will admit that Iíve done a lot to the car before the event and Iíve also been using it as my ride to work. Itís never once let me down and Iím doing 200+ miles per week in it. After getting back to Stoke on the Sunday, I unloaded it and drove it to work the following day (stoke to Banbury = 2 Ĺ hrs). Still havenít washed it. I changed the oil and filter last Friday and the old stuff came out clean. I really canít fault these cars they are like Tonka toys and are very easy to drive.

Regards the LE, me and Rick are reverting back to 2 wheels. We both missed being part of the brotherhood on the Exeter and although using the X90 for the LE was mentioned, we both came to the conclusion that its far more challenging on a bike. I wonít be getting a copper on this trial. Iím expecting to be on the floor a lot so if I get a finishing certificate again Iíll be happy.

During the Exeter supper I was sat with my Marlin chums again (salt of the earth those guys). Listening to the trials and tribulations that they endure during these events leads me back to my first statement. 4 wheels is not easy, in fact, it can be very bloody challenging. If I was to go back to 4 wheels again this would be the avenue I would take. Whereís the challenge in doing things the easy wayÖÖ

JP

Ps. I can't thank Rick enough for stepping in as my last minute co-pilot replacement. Canít imagine how embarrassing it must have been for him (double hard biker) sitting in the Barbie Buggy and listening to me laughing and twaddling on for 16 hrs. Thanks again mate.

See picture on link below of Rick trying not to be recognised. He even grew a beard, wore a baseball cap and changed his name to Steve Yates. hahahaha

https://hoits.smugmug.com/Motor-Sport-Photos/MCC-Events/Exeter-Trial/2018-Exeter-Trial/Pin-Hill/Class-O/i-LMqfWqR/A

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 08:16:46 am »
I notice that Rick is wearing his seat belt.  Is that a reflection on the driver's ability?  :o

Good to see you'll both be back on the bikes  :), much more fun and less queuing  :(

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 10:29:40 am »
Would the 2 litre Grand Vitara engine fit?

Offline Peter Savage

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 02:55:21 pm »
Pete Savage - x90 class 5 . My navigator and I had one of our best ever trials. Lots of learning and many hours spent adjusting the car over the last few years meant that with some luck we managed to clear everything except Simms. We were first up Simms and it was incredibly boggy at the top and we didn't have the speed or traction once the rocks ran out . We were absolutely elated to finish only 9 mins later than target time and we were the first main trial car back at Torquay for a silver medal. Despite our best efforts we were classed as retired though as somehow we failed to sign off - incredibly dissapointed my navigator has in fact vowed never to trail again which is sad news. I still haven't got over it fully as we really have put an awful lot of effort into getting as far as we have with extremely limited resources.  We understand its requirement that we sign off but all the evidence proved we had safely finished with no accidents - and we at least turned up in a car that was perfectly prepared in accordance with all the rules - unlike MANY who turned up with multiple car irregularities but were allowed a second chance to put things right before they started. I guess its one rule for one and one for another. 

Offline Alastair Queen

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 03:37:21 pm »
I guess its one rule for one and one for another.

Not really.   Signing off is as much for the event insurance as anything else. How are organisers supposed to second guess if a competitor hasn't actually done what they are supposed to do?

Those who eventually were allowed to start, doubtless rectified the issues raised, first.

but all the evidence proved we had safely finished with no accidents

What evidence?  Where was the entrant's declaration? 

Rather than hoiking teddies from prams, maybe just chalk this up to experience, and remember next time? 

This is a motor sporting event, after all..subject to strict rules.....

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 06:35:18 pm »
I guess its one rule for one and one for another.
I can't agree.  I forgot to sign on at Popham a couple of years back and lost an award because of it; a silver I think. That's the way the cookie crumbles.  You only do it the once.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 06:42:02 am »
I notice that Rick is wearing his seat belt.  Is that a reflection on the driver's ability?  :o

OOHHHH yes, I had him grabbing for the door card and the dashboard a few times.  ;D and one of those times was just driving down a straight road...  :o

Would the 2 litre Grand Vitara engine fit?

There's a lot of talk about X-90's being under powered. Don't know why, never felt mine needed any more. mine has a low ratio diff so first gear will climb anything in class O. I usually have 100kg+ in the boot plus me and Rick sat in it, select first gear no clutching required. It wont stall it just looses grip and that's down to me.

To answer the question, no the 2litre engine wont fit. not without a serious amount of work anyway. I would just use a 2litre vitara.
If you really wanted to do something special with an X-90 take a look at this. They use a Suzuki Samurai chassis but that's not too dissimilar to an X-90.

http://www.morrisminorforum.com/phorum/read.php?8,9391

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 08:30:31 am »
http://www.morrisminorforum.com/phorum/read.php?8,9391
I know it's getting a bit off topic, but that's certainly an exciting car, though, ineligible for MCC events as it's four wheel drive.  Even if they disable one of the drives, it can't be entered.  But would you really want to enter it  :(

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 03:56:33 pm »
my point was you could drop the moggy body on an X-90 chassis. I measured one up once and the moggy wheel base is virtually identical to that of an X-90. think the moggy saloon I measured was 1/2" longer but that's nothing really. certainly better looking than the Barbie body and I would definitely enter it in an LDT. a definite crowd pleaser.  ;D

regards disabling one of the drives, we let Grand Vitara's in..... just saying.  ::)