Author Topic: Bamford Clough  (Read 12213 times)

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
Re: Bamford Clough
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 09:13:41 am »
The county council will repair even deeply rutted lanes as they have a duty to do so. It's just a question of money. There was a deeply gouged lane near Bovey in Devon that ended up being TRO'd before repairs took place which transformed the lane (some might say to it's detriment; but at least it's still open and usable).

As for Bamford Clough it could be undertaken by the MCC if they have the intention; there could be some sort of accommodation sought between the MCC, the County Council, the local power distribution company and the power user - even the Ramblers and cyclists groups that use the lane could chip in - to find the funds.

How long is the cable? Where does it go? I can't believe for a minute no one knows! Just switch it off; someone will soon shout. Maybe it's actually illegal or is a remnant from other diversionary works; street lighting? Surely a quick desktop and site recce would reveal all. First of all you need to know the problem before you can apply a fix.

As for actually doing the work, well, section 38 agreements detail how something is done so that would come from DCC highways, and supervision is straightforward if you have the required accreditation so someone from the MCC could oversee the work, the cable itself would probably need to be cut off and a new section laid - that's a trench, a length of cable and two joints, a road crossing and backfill. The cable has to be laid and jointed by the power authorities' people and the timing of that is critical (shutdowns etc) but for the digging/backfilling that's a 5 tonne swing machine and driver, maybe a dumper and driver, a few tones of sand, stone and maybe concrete, plus a few bits of barrier fencing etc. It's not a lot of work; even if it is 100m long. It isn't the new Forth Road crossing.

Unfortunately the usual issues would arise from the lawyers and agents to get the section 38 agreements from the landowners from one side of the road or both (if it was necessary to take the cable out of the road altogether bar a single road crossing). But that's not insurmountable.

What is needed is a concerted effort from all concerned rather than wheedling away at the council, who frankly, have everyone and his dog shouting at them to fix potholes etc with a severely depleted roads budget.

The above are just some thoughts; I'm not suggesting that's not what's already been happening, or that MCC officials have not made the best efforts to get the situation rectified. From here (at a distance I admit) it seems that things could be done with the help of everyone involved.

RH

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 12:51:33 pm »
The latest on Bamford Clough as reported in News Of The Week (NOTW) 12.12 17 is below.

Bamford continues to be closed to all vehicular access due to a partially exposed live 440v electricity cable, we believe this cable was laid privately pre war.   This cable has provided power to a functioning Farm (Commercial Premise), it is now thought that the Farm buildings are now used as a residential property, therefore subject to different rules in terms of use.   If current use is confirmed as providing power to a residence then DCC have asked the owners to provide a scheme to provide their power requirements, which do not run up the centre of Bamford Clough, this scheme will have to be funded privately.   This scheme needs to be provided to DCC by the end of December 2017. This will allowing DCC finalise a repair scheme to re-grade the Clough. C-of-C Roy Newton has been  advised by DCC that funds are available to carry out this work, but whatever the solution, it must have a maintenance free life of many years!!!!   I am advised by DCC that when reopened Bamford will be again be available for the Edinburgh Trial.

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 04:38:06 pm »
thanks for the update Paul

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 10:29:34 pm »
I suspect that the repaired (hopefully) Bamford might not be as challenging as the one we became used to. Presumably it will have to conform to a minimum standard of surface.

But it will be great to have it back. I  owe my interest in Classic Trialling to my time spectating on that hill.

PW.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 07:01:38 pm »
Any news?

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 08:01:35 pm »
I think its fair to declare that despite heroic efforts by local MCC members and many other user groups this 'issue' has not moved one practical step toward a solution. The status remains exactly as described as above with the exception that future surface configurations and drainage/flooding issues are now surfacing as barriers to moving forward.
The local MCC team have worked doggedly to have the lane reopened and will continue to do so amicably and in a spirit of goodwill.   

Offline Myke Pocock

• Club Members
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 07:40:59 pm »
Thanks Mark for the update and this just goes to illustrate just how much time and effort goes on unannounced to try and continue usage of classic sections.

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 05:34:23 pm »
I drove to the top of Bamford on Thursday. Sorry to say that no work has been done to it as far as I can see. The track that cuts across the top to High Lees Farm is clear as before but Bamford "proper," above the closure, has now become very overgrown. However I couldn't resist driving my Liege up that last section. Possibly the first car to do so for some years.
Cheers, PW.

Offline Anthony Costigan

• Club Members
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 02:14:31 pm »
I can remember driving UP Hurstclough Lane in my Riley 9 Lincock in  the 1970's after repair of an earlier wash out .
My Dad used to take us kids up occasionally in the 1950's - we used to know it then as Bamford Filters.

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 04:08:37 pm »
Anthony, the "filters" are presumably part of the water treatment plant along there.

First time I drove up Hurstclough was in my Liege with my five year old daughter in the passenger seat. I found it by accident when exploring the capabilities of my new car (it was a bit scary once committed with her in the car). That can't have been before the autumn of the year 2002 because that's when my car was first on the road. I went up it a few times in the years after that but it's massively deteriorated of late, I think mainly courtesy of our friends in 4 x 4 vehicles who used it until it became too bad even for them. I was last down there about four years ago and in places the surface had eroded two feet below the remnants of tarmac.
Cheers, PW.

Offline Tony Ferrari (Nomad)

• Club Members
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 11:28:53 am »
I rode my bike (KTM 450 EXC) up Hurstclough Lane early last year, definitely needed a high level of commitment but I made it "clean" to the top!

I also visited Bamford Clogh and saw no sign of any progress, the Heras fencing still being in place

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2019, 09:52:53 pm »
I checked Bamford last week, at least the top end of it. There has been no progress at all.
PW.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2019, 07:40:07 am »
There is no progress from the pen pushers either. DCC finds itself with the wrong end of a sticky stick. roads to maintain and no money to do so..

temporary TRO is been used as a toll to close a number of other BOATs especially around Hollinsclough on the ground sof the state of repair yet the council then makes no effort or no visible effort to repair.