Author Topic: Bamford Clough  (Read 12153 times)

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
Bamford Clough
« on: April 12, 2016, 10:40:08 pm »
Is there any prospect of Bamford being open this year (or ever again)? The Edinburgh doesn't seem quite the same without it being included.

Knowing the area quite well, I can't help suspecting that the "underground live cable" being found causing the closure there involved some sort of skullduggery. There would appear to be nothing up there, or on the unlit road above, that actually requires electricity.
PW.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Club Members
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: Bamford Clough
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 11:57:08 am »
Is the Road closed to Cyclists and Walkers?

If not then why would it be closed to Motor transport?

Surely "Live" Cables would not be left "Live" the moment the were discovered to be exposed?

Offline Andrew Brown

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 01:22:00 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/classictrials/permalink/10156642734330131/

We have also heard that Derbyshire CC plan to do something this year. Someone from the Edinburgh Team should have the latest info,

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 07:34:26 pm »
The road was completely closed, it was actually fenced off and warnings signs were posted for walkers. However, I've not been up there recently to see for myself. I hope things will be sorted in time for this year's trial.
PW.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 05:32:08 pm »
Rather miffed that it's still not included in the Edinburgh yet. I was passing by the top of Bamford Clough this afternoon. It's rather overgrown and still fenced off (steel piles have been driven in with a pair of steel fencing panels fastened to them).

The sign still says "Footpath Closed" but there was evidence of quite a lot of activity by walkers; folks are simply going around the panels.
PW.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 12:40:24 pm »
Well the good news is that Bamford Cloughs status has been confirmed as a by way open to all traffic, the council have allocated funds specifically for the work around the electric cabling and additional work to the 'road' surface. The folks that spend the money have it unfortunately though contractors have yet to start the work.. patience will be rewarded though. In the meantime though please do not be tempted to ignore the road closed signs.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 05:23:13 pm »
Great news! 8)

P.S. No need to worry, there's absolutely no chance of a vehicle presently being driven past those steel mesh fencing panels or through the steel piles.

Edit: Now found this link regarding the status as a B.O.A.T. being confirmed, earlier this year.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rights-of-way-online-order-details#derbyshire-county-council
PW.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 05:28:46 pm »
I "dropped by" the lower end of the Clough this afternoon to see if any progress has been made.

It's still as before, apart from new council signage posted on the metal mesh panel barriers which recognises it as a byway, but that repair work won't be finished until at least July 2018! I noticed that the beginning of the track by Clough House is now in very poor condition, looks like it's suffered rain damage/washout. Also a small tree has fallen across the right hand side of the track.

All in all, it's not looking good!
PW.

Offline Myke Pocock

• Club Members
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 10:03:15 pm »
I have had the distinct impression that we can kiss goodbye to Bamford as a section.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 07:49:24 am »
Why do we have to kiss goodbye to Bamford Clough? I had a read through the Order Decision, Order Ref: FPS/U1050/7/85, which states 'It proposes to modify the definitive map and statement for the area by recording a byway open to all traffic at Bamford Clough .... '.

If we assume that Derbyshire County Council will carry out the work to bury the live electric cable, that would leave remedial work to clear and repair Bamford Clough.  If the council, or their contractor lacks the resources, or time to clear and repair Bamford Clough, is this an opportunity for us to work with the TRF, who have been very active, on the legal side at least?

MCC members have repaired sections in the past; would there be enough volunteers with the aid of the TRF to help out at Bamford Clough?  I'd be interested to hear other opinions on this.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 01:24:25 pm »
The BOAT is closed due to the discovery of an electrical cable at on or close to the surface. The electrical cable is live. the council applied to close the BOAT whilst repairs were made, i believe in good faith and with a genuine intention to get it sorted asap. Then they hit a legal mess. the cable is live and what it serves is known but who it belongs to and who is responsible for its maintenance and the maintenance of the road it passes under should be clear cut legally but it is not. So the council have hired consultants to consult and propose a remedy/ course of action. Now we are some way down the line on a time scale so the council have received notice that they are taking too long  and they have a legal duty to have roads open not closed.  The council reasonably persuaded those serving notice that they were acting in good faith and  action would happen in reasonable time.  The bottom line I m afraid will be money. Faced with local authority cuts of several millions of pounds I suspect DCC will be unwilling unable to source funds to do the work to any sort of required standard. So what a a TRF inspired pick and a shovel working weekend or two. not going to happen ever.. repairing ruts and refreshing the surface is one thing removing/ restoring/ replacing an underground electrical cable of some significance is another. So in conclusion I think never is far too strong, unlikely still a little harsh. Medium term a more likely outcome. we should be aware though that despite only recently been declared a BOAt other local BOATS have recently been closed premanently for been beyond economic repair..

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 10:11:23 pm »
Bamford appears still to be closed to all users, i.e. walkers too.  Would this not make permanent closure more difficult for the council, I wonder?
PW.

Offline Myke Pocock

• Club Members
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 03:52:44 pm »
Firstly I think we have to recognize and applaud those that are working tirelessly  behind the scenes to assist in whatever way they can to get the use of Bamford back and that also goes for Litton Slack. These kinds of things can take ages and there are occasions when trying to force things on can be counter productive.  However my belief is that if you are waiting for Bamford to be included in the Edinburgh in the near future then you will be disappointed. I gather that the possible cost could be well towards three quarters of a million and my opinion is that there is not a snowflakes chance in hell of the MCC and the TRF being allowed to do anything substantial themselves. There would be far too many hoops to jump through. Just consider the H&S issues for a start these days.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 03:22:38 pm »
Myke, as far as I can tell, no-one here is trying to force anything, or expects the MCC to do so. I merely asked if there was any prospect of it being re-opened.

From what I saw recently, I think I now know the answer.  :(

There is another minor road just to the east of Bamford (Hurstclough Lane; it is the last turning on the right just before you enter the unsurfaced part of Bamford Clough and it runs past the entrance to Bamford water works; it leads past tracks to Upper Hurst and Nether Hurst farms and past a building known as "Gatehouse" on the 50,000 map). I have travelled it uphill quite a few times over the years in the Liege, not without some difficulty due to the eroded state of it, but the last time I tried it about three years ago (downhill) it was almost impassable, although not signposted as closed and obvious that no-one had been along it for a very long time.. I had to dismantle and remove a fallen tree to get past.

I think Bamford will probably now go the same way. I note we've also lost Putwell forever - another challenging section that had almost become a Bamford replacement.
PW.

Offline Sam Holmes

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 01:11:50 pm »
I know the track you are talking about - we explored it as soon as Bamford was closed in case it could be an alternative but as you say, it was very eroded by water - at one point there was a 3-4 foot deep trough running down one side of the track. We would not attempt it in the Jeep and too big a job to repair.