Author Topic: CZ 125 to 350 project  (Read 5952 times)

Offline Paul Wheatley (Wheaters)

• Club Members
Re: CZ 125 to 350 project
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 12:24:48 pm »
Yeh I know exactly what the regs say but I'm of the opinion that if the design of the engine and frame was designed pre 1970 and is unchanged, irrespective of when it was made, it should be class A compliant. This president has in fact already been set with the Enfield bullet.

Hasn't it ?

I don't think the rues are set in stone and it can't be all about the frame. One easy way of spotting an Enfield built in India, as opposed to a Redditch built one, is to look at the differences in the frame! The Indian built frames have a lateral through bolt in the section above the gearbox.

I have an Indian home market, year 2004, iron barrelled 350 Bullet which immediately qualifies for Class A.

However, my road registered, 1977 FB AJS Enduro (UK built by FB) has a frame and engine identical to all FB AJS Stormers designed and registered in years before. The wording of the regs disallow it from Class A - although I've been advised by some here to submit details to see if it could be given a a "one-off" exception.

Maybe you could do that.
Cheers, PW.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 05:17:12 pm »
Regs used to say "Of a type built on or before 1965". So a 1966 BSA 250 that was the same as a 1964 one could enter Class A.
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 07:06:35 pm »
When I was road racing and you were campaigning on something unusual, you had to submit details of your classic bike to an eligibility officer. This included frame number, engine number and some pictures etc plus other supporting evidence. He would then send you a A5 sized card back with the details of your bike on, frame and engine number and in our case reg number, a copy of the photo you sent him and it would say what class it was in. You then show this at scrutineering.

Not every bike had to do this, only if you were racing something unusual and it wasn't quite clear which class it fell into.

. However, my road registered, 1977 FB AJS Enduro (UK built by FB) has a frame and engine identical to all FB AJS Stormers designed and registered in years before. The wording of the regs disallow it from Class A - although I've been advised by some here to submit details to see if it could be given a a "one-off" exception. 

I definitely think you have a case. If there is a few of us all saying the same thing maybe we can asked to get the rule changed.

This could also affect the Honda 90 guys. Could be a good way of improving classA numbers.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 08:44:41 pm »
Hey Paul,  would you mind asking this very question please at the next committee meeting on the 9th Feb.

I was asking on here to seek other people's opinion. If there is a few of us in agreement it adds weight to the proposal.

Likewise if there's lots of objection there's no point in taking it further.

Thanks for the feedback anyway. Wish I could be there but my son is 18 on 9th Feb.  Big milestone  ;D

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 11:07:50 am »
I can certainly raise the matter at the meeting :).

Looking at the Lands end Trial 2018, there were 14 sections.  Class B had nine restarts; class A had six restarts.  One of those restarts had different boxes for class A and B, but effectively, class A did three less restarts.  Class A had 12 competitors and class B had 46 competitors.

The 350 CZ looks to be a competitive machine.  Whatís the advantage, apart from less restarts, of being in class A ???

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 07:23:29 pm »
I don't care about medals or difficulty, just the prestige of competing on a class A bike. 8)

Oldskool rules.😋

Don't know about competitive, I'm building it, and I'm riding it. And it will be heavy. I'm just going for reliable.😁

If I get to the end and I have some tales to tell I'm very happy. My worst nightmare is having to call the RAC in the middle of the night and not getting to the finish

It would be the iceing on the cake for me for it to be classed as a classic bike.😀

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 07:53:41 pm »
In terms of competitiveness, it's a 1969 design cz125 road bike frame and a 1968 jawa 350 designed engine. How competitive do you think that's going to be. I'm guessing it's going to be poo. But I love Communist motorcycles, and I'm a novice rider so no one is in any danger of losing any medals. Hahahaha

If it ends up as a class B bike, cset la vie. I relish the challenge.  But I do think class A is suffering.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 11:21:24 am »
Jason, your CZ can be entered in class A. 

The matter was discussed at the Executive Committee meeting on Saturday (9 Feb 2019) and the decision to allow your CZ into class a was agreed.  An addendum to the Standing Supplementary Regulations (SSR) will be issued to allow the CZ along with the India made Royal Enfield Bullet into class A.

So just up to you to win the class ;)

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 12:21:27 pm »

No pressure then!

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 03:38:59 pm »

The matter was discussed at the Executive Committee meeting on Saturday (9 Feb 2019) and the decision to allow your CZ into class a was agreed.  An addendum to the Standing Supplementary Regulations (SSR) will be issued to allow the CZ along with the India made Royal Enfield Bullet into class A.

:)
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 11:29:04 am »
I need this information so that I can write the rule.

:)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 07:07:07 pm »
.  Jason, your CZ can be entered in class A. 

No pressure then! 

Hahahaha, good news about the class A decision thanks Paul. I definitely won't be winning any class awards.

Not when I'm up against Rick on his new Cotton Triumph beast. 😀

But class A now has a new member. Just got to get it finished now. ::)

Ian, regards models and frame/engine numbers etc I've contacted the jawa/cz owners club and they will be getting back to me soon.

They were very pleased that the MCC recognises their bikes as class A machines. It is a marque that almost always gets overlooked.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 08:22:43 am »
I've already wrote a couple of articles and had them published in their monthly magazine.

Hopefully should have some more tails to write about when I get it back on the road.  ;)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 04:19:45 pm »
I've already wrote a couple of articles and had them published in their monthly magazine.

Hopefully should have some more tails to write about when I get it back on the road.  ;)

Excellent....  :)

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 05:41:57 pm »
Ian, how do I get this info to you. ?