Author Topic: New member with new build car  (Read 580 times)

Offline Dermot Murray

New member with new build car
« on: June 25, 2020, 04:32:18 pm »
Hi all
I recently joined the MCC with the intention of competing in my 1965 Morris Minor 2 door.
The Minor is currently undergoing extensive surgery to rid it of any rot (it's a long job) and the intention is to run it in class 3 with a MG Midget based 1340 engine and gearbox with a diff from an A30 van in the rear axle.
I have previously been a member of theTRF but had a bad off on a nondescript lane putting me in hospital for a week and badly shattering my shoulder.
That injury put paid to my biking and I sold my DRZ400 whilst in hospital.
That was a few years back and I still suffer with a bad shoulder but I can still drive thankfully.

The Minor was sort of given to me as I sold a car and when I saw the Minor I ended up driving it home.
Up to now I have sourced a decent block and cylinder head, the block is away for machining as I type, so that will hopefully return bored out to 1330 or 1340 as people seem to insist on calling it.

The Minors  bodywork has been documented in a series of short videos,mainly for my own records, but they show a little bit of the bodges and rust.

They can be seen here under dermot murray.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCsbZslZzKyaxWZ08ArjvOjA?noapp=1

So that's where I'm up to at the moment, I will no doubt be asking tech questions along the way, looking forward to getting "Gracie" out for a bit of fun.

P.s.I don't normally name my cars but "Gracie" is grey and a C reg hence the name. :)

Regards

Dermot.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
Re: New member with new build car
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 09:21:05 am »
Dermot, welcome to the club and sorry to hear about the shoulder injury.

You've got some interesting videos there.  The gearbox video put me in mind of a Morris Minor of mine some 45 years ago.  If I recall correctly, it had a 1000 cc engine and the gearbox was knackered so I took the gearbox off an 1100 cc engine.  I borrowed my employer's workshop and took the gearbox out, but the gearbox from the 1100 cc was slightly different so wouldn't mate to the 1000 cc engine :(.  I had to mix and match parts; I think it involved the bell housing area ???.  Anyway, I got it back together somehow.

It'll be interesting to watch the Minor progress.

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 10:44:01 am »
I use a CO2 cylinder with a welding regulator set to 78psi.   The same pressure as the air tools in my workshop.   Its a pub bottle and stands about 20inches tall.   It will re-inflate a tyre in about 20secs.   It lasts about 8 events - depending on the usual factors, and I get it refilled by my Fire Extinguisher Inspector for a fiver a time.

The typical compressors seen in Halfords and the various online catalogues are rubbish.  They are too slow, and are not up to the sort of heavy duty use that a trial gives them.  They will break very quickly.   Have a look to see what the 4x4 fraternity use.   I saw what looked quite good in a Sealey Tools catalogue the other day.  MAC06, It seemed to be just the job, but I would not buy it until I knew what 75 L/min translated to in terms of speed of inflation.

MCC Trials run on a one minute cycle, therefore you need a device that will inflate a tyre in under a minute, anything else is too slow.

I used to have (about 50 years ago) the "quick flash" inflator that Tony Bishop talks about.  -Tyre-n-Fire- they were called.  They worked great about 90% of the time, but if you were a little too slow in turning it off then the valve in the bottle would freeze open.  If you were quick you could pull the connector off the tyre and let it empty itself, if not you ran for cover to let the tyre explode!   I remember peeing on it once to defrost the valve!

Offline Dermot Murray

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 01:21:17 pm »
Dermot, welcome to the club and sorry to hear about the shoulder injury.

You've got some interesting videos there.  The gearbox video put me in mind of a Morris Minor of mine some 45 years ago.  If I recall correctly, it had a 1000 cc engine and the gearbox was knackered so I took the gearbox off an 1100 cc engine.  I borrowed my employer's workshop and took the gearbox out, but the gearbox from the 1100 cc was slightly different so wouldn't mate to the 1000 cc engine :(.  I had to mix and match parts; I think it involved the bell housing area ???.  Anyway, I got it back together somehow.

It'll be interesting to watch the Minor progress.

It sounds like you were trying to change a smooth case gearbox for a later ribbed box, Its all fun and memories.

The Minor came to me I wasn't looking for it, but now its here I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting it out there on the hills.

Offline Dermot Murray

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 01:23:36 pm »
I use a CO2 cylinder with a welding regulator set to 78psi.   The same pressure as the air tools in my workshop.   Its a pub bottle and stands about 20inches tall.   It will re-inflate a tyre in about 20secs.   It lasts about 8 events - depending on the usual factors, and I get it refilled by my Fire Extinguisher Inspector for a fiver a time.

The typical compressors seen in Halfords and the various online catalogues are rubbish.  They are too slow, and are not up to the sort of heavy duty use that a trial gives them.  They will break very quickly.   Have a look to see what the 4x4 fraternity use.   I saw what looked quite good in a Sealey Tools catalogue the other day.  MAC06, It seemed to be just the job, but I would not buy it until I knew what 75 L/min translated to in terms of speed of inflation.

MCC Trials run on a one minute cycle, therefore you need a device that will inflate a tyre in under a minute, anything else is too slow.

I used to have (about 50 years ago) the "quick flash" inflator that Tony Bishop talks about.  -Tyre-n-Fire- they were called.  They worked great about 90% of the time, but if you were a little too slow in turning it off then the valve in the bottle would freeze open.  If you were quick you could pull the connector off the tyre and let it empty itself, if not you ran for cover to let the tyre explode!   I remember peeing on it once to defrost the valve!

I will have a look into sourcing a Co2 cylinder and regulator from somewhere.
At the moment I have this which I used on my 4x4 and it seemed to do the trick but it was a bit slow.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-RAC900-Compressor-extendable-connector/dp/B000W08QZY/ref=asc_df_B000W08QZY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311008953055&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14390397168366400805&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045906&hvtargid=pla-592987393884&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Alastair Queen

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 02:37:27 pm »
I have found this to be quite manly for inflating tyres..or even, pumping them up.? Long hose that gets everywhere, only downside is the screw-on valve connector..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Britpart-12-Volt-Car-4x4-Camper-Portable-Air-Compressor-Tyre-Inflator-DA2354-/221166688078?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1

Or,  from the same trademark, one of these..but be prepared to bump start the car if you stall?

https://www.britpart.com/parts/off-road/compressors-and-tyre-repair/air-compressors/da2392

Offline Dermot Murray

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 02:59:05 pm »
Yes the screw on connector can be a bit fiddly, especially under pressure, in the mud and rain.
I think the Compressed air bottle and regulator sound just the thing.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 12:33:59 pm »
ive used the 9.99 from Argos tyre inflators powered via the cigarette socket on my x90. not suitable for continuously inflating, they take too long and get warm and cut out. the 7 i use a double barrelled foot pump ( i need the exercise) but they are only motorcycle tyres.

what i can contribute though is the value of a good pressure gauge. i use an Apico designed for off road motorcyle sport, they come in two sizes 0 -30 and 0 -15 they deflate really fast and the figures are really clear so you get the same both sides which is critical. they are good value at about 15 quid and indestructible.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 11:59:45 pm »
Yes the screw on connector can be a bit fiddly, especially under pressure, in the mud and rain.
I think the Compressed air bottle and regulator sound just the thing.

Use CO2, Not Air, as Compressed Air will not be allowed on some trials.... "Tyre inflation from a compressed bottle must be an inert gas".

Is quoted on many forest sections or single venue trials.
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 08:23:11 am »
CO2, as Compressed Air will not be allowed on some trials.... "Tyre inflation from a compressed bottle must be an inert gas".
You might be confusing carbon dioxide with some other gas.  CO2 is an inert gas and would be allowed.  It's non-combustible and used in many applications to supress oxygenation, such as fire extinguishers and shielded welding.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 08:48:46 am »
CO2, as Compressed Air will not be allowed on some trials.... "Tyre inflation from a compressed bottle must be an inert gas".
You might be confusing carbon dioxide with some other gas.  CO2 is an inert gas and would be allowed.  It's non-combustible and used in many applications to supress oxygenation, such as fire extinguishers and shielded welding.

Errrr. Thats what I said.... Use CO2 not Air or a combustible gas. :)
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 08:51:11 am »
I can see the way I wrote it might be confusing so have put the words "Use" and "Not Air" in the post. :)

Offline Dermot Murray

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 09:30:37 am »
Thank for the clarity re the Co2, do you just use the standard small Co2 bottles as used in pubs etc?along with a standard regulator and hose line?
Or is there a preferred choice?

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 09:32:11 am »
I understand why you get your fire extinguisher guy to fill your tank now.    ;D

Im guessing this is in case your tank turns grenade rather than what gas goes in your tyres.

I used a CIG lighter pump on my x90 but it was a big one. It was wired direct to the battery and it had its own switch.  It worked OK. I didn't go below 15 psi though and after the sections only went up to 22 psi. So it didn't have to do much.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 01:29:51 pm »
Thank for the clarity re the Co2, do you just use the standard small Co2 bottles as used in pubs etc?along with a standard regulator and hose line?
Or is there a preferred choice?

I use 2.kg Fire Extinguisher cylinders. One external to the back of the car with a regulator and a length of double braded hose with a tyre inflator on the end.

You could tuck one inside the boot.

Smaller than 2 kg are not worth having. (1 cylinder is good for me for at least two MCC Trials.).
Larger than 2 Kg tend to be heavy and difficult to secure.

I get the local fire extinguisher / pub refill service to fill them at a couple of quid a go.   :)