Author Topic: Cars without passengers, the new future?  (Read 814 times)

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
Cars without passengers, the new future?
« on: May 29, 2020, 11:01:48 am »
The amended general regulations released by MSUK effective 4th July allow for resumption of motorsport. However with one crucial caveat passengers are not allowed , MSuk have even introduced a new sport to accommodate this '' rally sprints''

So the discussion is should cars run on trials without passengers? already some folk have responded to the clubs weekly newsletter. What are your thoughts?

J K notes:   Car drivers possibly going solo?   I’m sure they can obtain lots of advice from the solo motorcycling members. . . . . .
D R gives it the thumbs up - .I like this as it means I wont have to put an appeal out on NOTW every time!
S L thinks a major point has been missed:   Quite a lot of us routinely share the car with members of our household who we are not required to distance from in everyday life.   I am not sure if this aspect has been taken into account by the Motorsport UK in its current guidelines? 

My personal thoughts, passengers are integral part of a vehicle and a ready supply of pushing power if required. I d happily support same households in vehicles although at this time MSUK do not.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: Cars without passengers, the new future?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 12:38:27 pm »
Yes I agree... Car passengers are a part of trials.

Not only do they navigate but Bounce and lean to get grip.

They also help when changing wheels and doing repairs if required.

And yes, like quite a few Sidecar Teams they are often from the same family.
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 12:40:25 pm »
Also I reckon that without "Passengers", a lot of the Social aspect of a trial will be lost, and in addition newcomers to the sport will be severely limited.....
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 08:34:15 pm »
Not sure how legal this will be.....

The police get a bit funny with you if you use your phone whilst driving. Using a map, torch, road book reader et al whilst driving in the dark or busy town will have them very annoyed with you.

Also, i think the risk of falling asleep will increase if there's no one else in the car with you. Its not for me thanks.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 11:15:09 pm »
Not sure how legal this will be.....

The police get a bit funny with you if you use your phone whilst driving. Using a map, torch, road book reader et al whilst driving in the dark or busy town will have them very annoyed with you.

Also, i think the risk of falling asleep will increase if there's no one else in the car with you. Its not for me thanks.

I can only agree....

Alastair Queen

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 09:05:54 am »
I think it's an excellent idea, for the short-term future?

Modern technologies make it easier for a solo occupant to navigate these days. [Bike riders have already shown us the way]

As for fatigue? How do we think lorry & bus drivers cope?   Fatigue has always been an element of the full LDTs, passengers or not.   [Again, solo motorcyclists have had to deal with the same issues for over a century]...

I suspect also, LDTs may have to take the form of daylight-only events, for now? 
My concern would be, would we need extra rules to allow those with family passengers to compete on an equal footing[!?} to those without?

Would certainly make my job of entering a lot easier, not having to consider another OAP's needs as well?

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 11:31:31 am »
If this is the only possible way forward for a time then the Roadbooks as used on the bikes could be used in cars.

For a while I have been using one fixed slightly to the Navigators side of the Midge's dashboard top, by means of a Ram ball fixing.

This means that both of us can read it if necessary.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 11:32:58 am »
I did try translating the route into Russian once. This was OK. for Liuda, however then I had a bit of difficulty reading it... :D

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 11:36:02 am »

Я однажды попробовал перевести маршрут на русский. Это было хорошо. для Люды, однако, тогда мне было немного трудно читать это ...  :D

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 05:33:14 pm »
I think there might be a spelling mistake in there.
PW.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 11:04:21 am »
I think there might be a spelling mistake in there.

:)

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 09:43:17 am »
I think someone in motorsport has it seriously wrong if the person I have been in lockdown with for 12 weeks cannot sit in a car with me on a trial especially as I have a special licence- a marriage licence!

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 03:06:37 pm »
Likewise.....  :)

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 05:34:36 pm »
A question also arises since I am a motorcyclist first
What about if I drag my Trials sidecar back out and refit it to my bike and get TBSCPINW (wife) to jump in what do the ACU trhink about that?

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 09:00:19 pm »
Oh they dont like that idea at all, and they say its far too dangerous for those under 16 to ride club trials whilst the govt argue that its safe for them to be at school whilst they vote with their feet and can be found in groups of anything up to two dozen on our local beach.. yes we have beaches on the Pennines.. home to the highest beach in the UK :)  Similarly the MSuk say its inappropriate to share a vehicle with someone you ve spent the last 12 weeks in isolation with. 

we all have difficult circles to square and I dont envy any of them their responsibilities.