Author Topic: Forum Use  (Read 1313 times)

david@whitepost.me.uk

Forum Use
« on: March 11, 2020, 08:57:04 am »
The forum use has dropped to about 2 posts a week, if that.

As administrator I log in 3 or 4 times a day, check and delete the hacking attempts of bogus users and check to see if there are any new posts that need monitoring.

I am starting to see why there was so much reluctance to the forum in the first place.  I would suggest that the forum is closed and therefore would be less of a maintenance burden on the club.

I am more than happy to stand down from role of administrator and shuffle into the background.

Thoughts?

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
Re: Forum Use
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 04:36:06 pm »
regrettably the use of forums across all interests is falling as more 'fashionable' methods become available, the myriad of platforms is baffling to an old bloke like me and only just managable to teenagers

finding a platform that gives access to current users/ potential users of all ages is the challenge and I suspect the correct answer today will not be the right answer in as little as six months.

I think the failure of not been able to link backward and forward from the club website and that websites much awaited update been now long overdue do not support the clubs communication.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 05:07:17 pm »
I like the forum. I thought it was a very much under-used resource.
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

david@whitepost.me.uk

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 07:37:29 pm »
The forum is only as good as its members.

It seems the members have spoken with their silence.

I belong to another forum which gets thousands of posts a week, so forums work if enough people join in.

I may suggest that the committee close this one down.

Alastair Queen

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 08:25:23 am »
By all means  close the forum down if it is proving an imposition to operate.....

But I do note, the original criteria.....the method by which a forums usefulness is assessed by the number of posts per week.......rather fails to quantify the popularity of the forum itself?

Really, what it says is, not many folk have any queries. or indeed, any new opinions, to put out into the  ether at this point in time.
Rather than, how many folk pop in to have a look, or a read, but without commenting [IE not wishing to add to anything?]

Are there any actual figures with regards to the numbers of lurkers on this forum? Surely knowing this would give a better idea as to how popular the forum is, as a resource?

The alternative communication is currently via facebook.

There are many folk out there, who refuse to have anything to do with facebook.
Even as a club platform.
The mere platform has something of a poor reputation in the wider world...amongst those not in love with it.
This forum, on the other hand, is very specific in how it is accessed.

But, I understand, if it costs to maintain, then perhaps it ought to be dumped?

[BTW, if I get banned form facebook, per se, does that mean i would cease to have anything to do with the MCC??]

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 09:59:02 am »
I believe there were a number of criteria when the Forum was first proposed; these included a resource for practical information and a window to attract new entrants/members.  Has the resource side of things been successful?  I donít know.  Has the Forum encouraged new entrants/members I donít know that either.  I have been told that the number of hits could be from search engines; whether that translates into active readers, Who know?

As to the Forumís use, I too belong to other forums on the ADV site, two of which can go months without a post.

The cost of the Forum to the Club is nothing/negligible Iíve been told by someone who knows.  The only real cost is the time of the Administrator.

As for facebook, what was once the platform to be on is now losing favour and replaced by other platforms.

In the short term, this Forum needs a replacement Administrator, otherwise, no Forum.  I canít do the task; I have other commitments and Iím not sure Iíd know what I was doing anyway.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 12:49:58 pm »
I do enjoy the forum although I understand from first hand experience just how frustrating it can be to run one.

Having said that, I really donít like FB because over the years Iíve discovered how intrusive it is. I do have an account there but Iíve recently pared it back to the bare bones because I have no interest in getting totally irrelevant emails on my work phone. Iíve offended some of my close relatives because chopping it back has had an effect on my communications with them.

My vote is to keep the forum.
PW.

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 06:35:51 pm »
Anything is better than facebook
I certainly use it
I guess you may see a rise in use if everyone has to stay at home
I vote keep it

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 07:50:18 pm »
I do enjoy the forum ......... I understand from first hand experience ............... to run one.
Could you be the new Administrator and save the day  ;)

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 04:05:22 pm »
Paul, please see a personal message from me.
PW.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 08:13:00 am »
Paul W, sent you a reply.

Offline Paul Wheatley

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 01:20:43 pm »
 8) Thanks, Paul.
PW.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 12:10:35 pm »
Paul, sent another message  :)

Offline rick howell

• Club Members
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 10:14:35 pm »
I think the forum thing has had it's day as far as the go-to location for news etc. Ditto FB, but since the proliferation of social media apps seems to be expanding every day I suspect we could chase around forever trying to catch up. So why bother.

We have a useful resource here, and combined with the NOTW, it keeps us all informed, doesn't need a PhD to use (apart from posting pics which could be easier and therefore probably puts people off) and doesn't have too much of the drivel common to many other forums.

Whilst someone is prepared to put their time in (thanks Tufty) then even if it isn't a hot bed of activity it's still worth having.

If the pics situation could be sorted I suspect it would be more popular.

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 10:53:30 am »
Some Forum Stats:
The Forum has 285 registered Members (in a club with currently 820 members)
Of these 94 have never logged on,
Of those that have, (191) , 93 have never posted
Of those that have posted,
18 Have done so in the last week
8 more within the last month
17 within the last 3 months
10 within the last 6 months
16 within the last year
29 over 1 year

The fact that members here vote to keep the forum is simply a self fulfilling prophecy.