Author Topic: Some information on start locations please?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Tony Ferrari (Nomad)

• Club Members
Some information on start locations please?
« on: January 27, 2020, 12:27:06 pm »
I'm considering entering the Land's End but wanted to clarify something regarding start points.

Am I correct in thinking that starting at Popham or Cirencester just means a couple of hours of road work heading east as compared to heading west if starting at Plusha and both "easterly" starts are just designed to assist those coming from 'up country'?

Although both Popham and Cirencester are closer to home (near Bicester) I have friends who live in St Austell so i could base myself there for the weekend, this has the advantage of being only 45 minutes from both Plusha and the Finish respectively.

I didn't want to miss out on anything by electing to start in Cornwall  ;D

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: Some information on start locations please?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 01:47:32 pm »
Hi. Yes you are correct...

One year a friend elected to start from Plusha in Cornwall instead of the next and his usual start from Popham, so he could get an earlier number.

He ended up being the last competitor away from Plusha…….  So he was a minute earlier.....   ;D
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 01:57:47 pm »
OK so starters leave Plusha first, interesting to know

Offline Tim Kingham

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 06:30:14 pm »
Anyone with a nice wife like mine will find that as I did for many years the plan is both to take the bike to Plusha (van or trailer) She can then drive a short way to the finish and stay the night have an easy morning and wait at the finish
Actually because my bike this year is a bit uncertain and I may have to use a 65 year old one I am doing class O thats a start in Bridgewater so not sure what  would be best solution for her but if I had a suitable towing car and trailer  she could do the Trial as well  (she did it in a FWD last year but we were lucky it was dry)  we could pick the trailer up on the way back.!

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 06:50:58 pm »
OK so starters leave Plusha first, interesting to know

No. It rotates or goes in the order that they can get facilities for the start.

I do not know which is the start order this year.
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 06:52:20 pm »
Anyone with a nice wife like mine will find that as I did for many years the plan is both to take the bike to Plusha (van or trailer) She can then drive a short way to the finish and stay the night have an easy morning and wait at the finish
Actually because my bike this year is a bit uncertain and I may have to use a 65 year old one I am doing class O thats a start in Bridgewater so not sure what  would be best solution for her but if I had a suitable towing car and trailer  she could do the Trial as well  (she did it in a FWD last year but we were lucky it was dry)  we could pick the trailer up on the way back.!

I have a nice wife...…. However she cannot drive..... (Probably going to learn in a couple of years.).

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 06:54:06 pm »
I'm selling my trailer.... Too much faffing around... Where I live (near Popham) I might just as well drive or bike there. Do the trial and drive or bike back.

• Club Members
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 12:27:32 pm »
I will admit, I do have the "nice wife" option should I choose  ;D

I'm sure she wouldn't mind dropping me off in the van at Plusha, retreating back to the comfort of our friends house then picking me up from the finish on the Saturday.

But to be honest a 45 minute ride at each end isn't the end of the world  ;)

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 02:47:41 pm »
But to be honest a 45 minute ride at each end isn't the end of the world  ;)

Unless of course you are 45 minutes from the end of the world...  :)

Alastair Queen

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 10:59:42 am »
I live 25 minutes north of the Land of Nod!

If I were to annoy the club, and enter the Land's End,there would be little or no choice for starting points other than Cirencester. [Popham being too near the M25 for my liking, and I have to get through the South Eastern Customs post at Watford Gap.....being an 'Undesirable Alien' that might prove awkward?]

Cirencester being in pretty much a 'straight' line to Land's End from home.... But, there's still a 4 1/2 hour drive [continuous] to Cirencester first...followed by whatever time it takes to get to the trial collection point?  The, on Sunday, a 9 or 10 hour drive back home.....

Still cheaper than booking accomodation for Thursday night [high season..all the little luvvies potential moveable ballast off school, for starters]....and Saturday night [only did that once.....cost me an arm & a leg]...and too old to camp....[bones and the need to pee?]......meant the Land's End eventually ceased to be an enjoyable thing to look forward to, and became a logistical nightmare....with the logistics part taking up more time than car preparation!!
Even the Exeter involved a 1500 mile round trip....with the vague hope that the car would conk out at the finish, and I could have a relaxing trip home on the back of a Recovery service? [Best 50 quids worth I spent, back in the day....would have spent more than that in petrol....lucky to see 20 mpgs]

Much as I would love to compete in the LDTs again...the logistical costs make it not quite such a cheap form of motorsport...[And family no longer are interested..usual response to requests for passengering result in a phrase ending in 'off'...]

Offline Jason Potts

• Club Members
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 06:34:36 pm »
Last year I stayed here.

http://www.whitehousecornwall.co.uk/

The Whitehouse Inn, Penhallow, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 9LQ

15 minutes to Plusha and 25 minutes from the finish. Very nice, comfortable and cost 32 quid for just the Saturday night on Trivago or booking.com. one of them websites anyway.

Had some food, couple of beers and went to bed. Slept for 16 hours straight.

I noticed that they had a massive carpark too. Ideal for trailers. Best speak to them in advance about this though.

I would definitely stay here again.

Offline Tony Bishop

• Club Members
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 07:21:09 pm »
I hate to stir up the matter of the Land's End Trial and Easter yet again but that is yet another reason why I have decided to quit riding MCC trials.
Living where I do, in the far east of the UK ie Felixstowe, to get to Popham on Good Friday afternoon/evening is a logistical nightmare with the traffic at the southern end of the A12, then the M25 followed by the M3. Urrrggh.
After that there is then the fact that most accommodation owners in Cornwall/West Devon are not interested in letting one night when they can easily let for at least two over the Easter weekend, and I don't blame them, I would if I were in their shoes.
Consequently there are no more Land's Ends for me.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 09:07:01 pm »
I hate to stir up the matter of the Land's End Trial and Easter yet again but that is yet another reason why I have decided to quit riding MCC trials.
Living where I do, in the far east of the UK ie Felixstowe, to get to Popham on Good Friday afternoon/evening is a logistical nightmare with the traffic at the southern end of the A12, then the M25 followed by the M3. Urrrggh.
After that there is then the fact that most accommodation owners in Cornwall/West Devon are not interested in letting one night when they can easily let for at least two over the Easter weekend, and I don't blame them, I would if I were in their shoes.
Consequently there are no more Land's Ends for me.

Camper van?

Offline Simon Woodall

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 10:52:52 am »
Am I correct in thinking that starting at Popham or Cirencester just means a couple of hours of road work heading east as compared to heading west if starting at Plusha and both "easterly" starts are just designed to assist those coming from 'up country'?
The distance travelled during the trial is the same regardless of which start point you chose.   The only benefit that travelling to Plusha gives you is the proximity to the finish and therefore proximity to your trailer/van.   Check out your Exeter Programme, and you will see people listed as Okehampton Starters whose hometowns are scattered all over the country.
As Stephen Bailey notes, the start points rotate so that each gets a crack at being an early number, except that nowadays such a high proportion of the entry starts from the South-West start that an early number is no longer guaranteed unless you get your entry in as soon as entries open.
Of the LE entries received to date (30/01/2020) over half of them have opted to start from Plusha. 

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 10:52:05 am »
Plusha works for me despite living 3 and a half hours away as my plan is:

Thursday night, finish work and head for friends Justine and Al's in St Austell, arrive after 4/5 hour drive for good company, a few drinks and a comfy bed!

Friday, leisurely morning then wife drives me 45 minutes to Plusha for the start in the afternoon, then drives van back to St Austell.

Friday evening, she gets good company, a few drinks and a comfy bed! I get the joy of riding into the night!

Saturday I complete (hopefully) the Lands End and either I ride to St Austell or wife drives van the 47 minutes to Hayle to collect me, we then return to St Austell, yes you guessed it.... good company, a few drinks and a comfy bed! Actually Justine's Birthday Party will be in full swing by then so I'd better remember my ear plugs if I want any sleep!

Sunday repeat the good company, a few drinks and a comfy bed!

Monday, lazy morning then join the hoards heading east!!!

A slight fly in the ointment is that Al has just told us he might take Justine away for her Birthday instead of the usual party!!!

So....

Plan B - stay at their place anyway

Plan C - stay at my cousins in St Columb (35 minutes from Plusha / 42 minutes from Hayle) instead

Plan D - Stay at my Aunt's in Liskeard (25 minutes from Plusha / 1 hour from Hayle) instead

One way or another i'll be doing the Lands End  ;D