Author Topic: THAT MSUK Bombshell.....  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Lee Sample

• Club Members
THAT MSUK Bombshell.....
« on: November 05, 2019, 01:15:08 pm »
for those that haven't seen the various topics that have popped up on Facebook etc:-

New Motorsport UK RS Clubman licence from 2020

Dear Club Member,

For 2020 Motorsport UK is introducing the requirement for all competitors to hold a new RS Clubman licence as a minimum, which will be free of charge. If you compete, but dont currently hold a licence you will need to apply for this. These changes will affect Autotests, Trials, Cross Country, Road Rallying, 12 Cars and Scatters. Passengers will also now be required to hold an RS Clubman licence.

The RS Clubman licence can be applied for online from 18 November and aims to encourage more grass roots participation, as well ensuring all Motorsport UK event competitors are covered by comprehensive insurance. Additionally, licence holders will have access to Motorsport UKs Member Benefits Programme that includes the new upgraded personal accident cover.

i gather that the costs of this 'free' licence will be borne by the organising clubs, in the form of ian increase in the per capita permit fees (so we'll be paying for it then).

so what, if anything, can we do about it?  answers on a postcard....

needless to say, i don't think ive seen a positive reaction to the news yet.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
  • AKA: Ratty.
Re: THAT MSUK Bombshell.....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 01:57:56 pm »
How on earth does this encourage anyone?

Same as the ACU License discouraged newcomers.....

And more importantly......

Why have we heard nothing from the Clubs representative on this issue?

And as there should have been a consultation, What did our representative say?
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3KP7X8RQ4

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 02:01:34 pm »
although the licence is free it is needed by everyone in the car front and rear seat passengers regardless of age, the increase in fees is 5 per vehicle per event which organisers will naturally pass on to competitors.

so if last year you did the clubs 4 trials and the scatter. total licences = o

in 2020 you ll need a licence which is free plus a passport photo which is not, plus 5 for each event thats 25 quid to the MSUK... i can hear the tills ringing from here..

i suggest we recruit extra volunteers to meet the demand from grass roots potential competitors who ll be beating a path to our door to take up trials and pay more for the priviledge.

Offline Mark Gregg

• Club Members
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 02:03:25 pm »
Stephen.

the news was announced by MSuk at 18.06 yesterday evening there has been no prior notification or consultation with any club or group of clubs or organisers or committees

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 02:13:56 pm »
Strewth.
Posts by myself are personal posts and in no way are an official expression of the MCC. or the MCC Committee.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 02:16:20 pm »
So does that mean that any passenger in a car needs a licence?

Have they given any idea how that works for last minute replacements?

Can we just not go along with this?

Offline Lee Sample

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 04:04:01 pm »
So does that mean that any passenger in a car needs a licence?

Have they given any idea how that works for last minute replacements?

Can we just not go along with this?

yep, any passenger in the car needs a licence - including my 8 and 11 year olds  :o

I don't think they have given any ideas, or thoughts, to any of it, except how they can fund the move to their new shiny premises.....

I think that not going along with it = not getting the required permit for the event = no event  >:(

I, along with many others, have left comments on their facebook page indicating how we feel about it, but as yet, no reply to any of them. i would send a strongly worded email to them, but they don't seem to have any contact details on their website apart from a phone number, and I'm supposed to be working at the moment, so haven't been able to call.

there have been musings from a few people about whether to withdraw any voluntary marshalling assistance, but i don't think they would be that bothered if I'm honest...

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 05:55:44 pm »
This is insane.

Offline Paul K

• Club Members
  • Paul Khambatta
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 06:13:48 pm »
...... they don't seem to have any contact details on their website apart from a phone number,
The Motorsport UK telephone is 01753 765000.  Emails can be sent to a number of addresses, e.g. competitionsandclubs@motorsportuk.org, trials@motorsportuk.org , and complaints to feedback@motorsportuk.org .

Offline Lee Sample

• Club Members
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 10:38:56 am »
...... they don't seem to have any contact details on their website apart from a phone number,
The Motorsport UK telephone is 01753 765000.  Emails can be sent to a number of addresses, e.g. competitionsandclubs@motorsportuk.org, trials@motorsportuk.org , and complaints to feedback@motorsportuk.org .

cheers for that Paul, i'll make a note of those  :)

Lee

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 11:25:14 am »
Strongly worded letter sent.

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 11:25:48 am »
This needs to go in NOTW.....

Offline Stephen Bailey

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 11:27:29 am »
Oh... And everyone needs to send an individual letter to them... As if they get a letter from a club regardless of how many signatures on the letter or how many members that club has it will only count as one letter.....

david@whitepost.me.uk

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 07:52:52 pm »
Just read (and copied) the below from News of the Week.

I can't see a problem?  It's change, but it's not bad is it?

So, the News of the Week for this week comes from Motorsport UK!   In their wisdom they have decided that all competitors should be registered with them, just as the ACU has done for some time.   They have introduced a new way of grading competitions:- Clubman – as before;  Interclub – replaces National B;  National  - replaces National A;   International  - as before.   Interclub status is going to be the lowest grade for Race, Speed, Stage Rally, Rallycross, Drag Race and Kart Race.   They have also simplified licences for competitors in 2020 and corresponding to the permits structure, we will have the following licence grades.:-  Clubman;  Interclub;   National;   International.    They have increased all the per capita permit fees by a fiver.
Motorsport UK say:-
Throughout 2019 we have been evaluating the best strategy for the future of motorsport in this country.   The fact is that there are some real challenges ahead and we need to act now, or potentially see a further decline in both licence holders and events.   Why should that be something to worry about?   The issue is that across the sport we are beginning to see some events, clubs and championships reaching a tipping point where their viability is in doubt.
A large part of this is the lack of promotion and visibility for motorsport, especially at a grass roots level.   The next generation are not seeing any form of our sport in their media consumption, and that means we are facing a challenge to bring new recruits into the clubs and events.   We need to invest in tools to help clubs be better equipped for marketing and thus build new levels of membership.   We need to look after our officials and volunteers with enhanced education and training, attracting new recruits and providing a clear pathway for progression.   For those in the sport already we need to provide more reasons to stay; whether it be new innovations and formats, or reductions in bureaucracy and red tape.   And then there are larger threats on the horizon in the form of environmental issues and the changing role of the car in society, and these need to be proactively managed lest we become victim to others agendas.
Motorsport UK needs to be better equipped to meet these challenges, and to make the necessary investment in our future.   The reality is that the current economic model for managing the sport is out of date.   It has evolved over decades and has many inconsistencies within it and has developed into an often unfair system for many.   We also believe that there are plenty of opportunities to broaden the revenues to fund the sport.   Already we have created a comprehensive member benefits scheme, to get money off branded products and services.   That takes the pressure off the cost of competing.   We have already launched the fan focused Trackside member product, and we have other ambitious plans to create new membership tiers.   Motorsport UK is generating important revenues from providing consultancy to other ASN’s and events, such as The Safari Rally in the WRC next year.   And as we develop new UK properties we will seek to attract sponsorship to help us invest in the future of the sport.
The good news is that this entry-level, RS Clubman licence, will now be free.
This initiative is being introduced by Motorsport UK to encourage participation at grass roots level as well as to ensure that all competitors are covered by comprehensive public liability and personal accident insurance.
CAR DRIVERS READ ON:
         All our trials are classified as Clubmans.
If you are entering on a bike, bike with chair or three-wheeler you need a relevant ACU licence.
A Motorsport UK licence is not valid if you are entering on a bike, bike with chair or three-wheeler.
If you are entering in a car then you must have a FREE RS Clubmans licence issued by Motorsport UK.   Age limit: 17+.
An ACU licence is not valid if you are entering in a car or are a passenger in the car.
If you are a passenger in a car and aged 18 and above you must have a FREE RS Clubmans licence issued by Motorsport UK.
If you are a passenger in a car and aged less than 18 then a letter of parental consent is required, but no licence
On-line application for the FREE Clubmans licence is recommended and will be available after the 18th November.   For those members/competitors without an internet connection, we can download the required form on the 18th November and post it out to you.   The completed form should be sent back to Motorsport UK but will be accepted the start(s) along with a photograph during "sign on".   Our "seven days grace" to produce your licence, if you forget your licence for the start of the trial, is still valid.
Competitors with Motorsport UK licenses higher than Clubmans can use that license for a trial.
"Self declaration" medical questions will be asked on the form/on-line application.   We will only know what these questions are when they are published on the 18th November 2019, no sooner.  It is no use speculating what these questions may be.
         Medical information will be confidential to Motorsport UK and not passed on to any third party.

Alastair Queen

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 10:55:53 am »
but on the other hand motorcyclists have had to have a licence at least since I started trials about 38 years ago and I don't hear many complaints about that.
Aside from the fact that the motorcyclist is usually the competitor? For that reason, nothing has changed regarding car drivers either...really
The real issue concerns something motorcyclists don't usually bother themselves about....namely, passengers.